Although most polling stations around the country reported an orderly voting day yesterday, there were some incidents and altercations.
In all, 65 violations were reported, with 49 cases of referendum or presidential ballots being torn up and 16 instances where presidential or referendum ballots were carried out of polling stations, the National Police Agency (NPA) said.
Although voters were free to refuse to pick up ballots if they did not wish to vote, defacing ballots or removing them from polling stations are both illegal.
While defacing a presidential ballot may result in a fine of up to NT$50,000 (US$1,500), defacing a referendum ballots may lead to maximum of one year in jail or fines for up to NT$15,000, the agency said.
Among voters who broke the law were former head of the Ministry of the Interior's Construction and Planning Administration Pan Li-men (潘禮門), who tore up his presidential ballot at a polling station in Taipei, as he found he had accidentally selected the wrong candidate.
The 70-year-old Pan was charged with violations of the President and Vice President Election and Recall Law (總統副總統選舉罷免法) and would be fined, police said.
Meanwhile, Penghu prosecutors arrested Magong Mayor Hsu Lee-ying (楊麗音) of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and 73 Penghu residents yesterday on suspicion of involvement in vote-buying.
Hsu was suspected of hiring a boat to transport 73 individuals living in Magong back to their hometown in the county's islets to vote, police said.
The 73 were arrested as they arrived on the islets, while Hsu was arrested in Magong.
Prosecutors said they were in the process of determining if Hsu provided the free trip and asked them to vote for a certain candidate in return.
NPA Director-General Hou You-yi (侯友宜) told a press conference yesterday that more than 60,000 police officers and 30,000 volunteers had been deployed to the nation's 14,401 polling stations.
Amid calm at polling stations, police augmented security at DPP presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) headquarters in the afternoon.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as