Plans to turn the Grand Hotel in Taipei into a private corporation have nothing to do with the March 22 presidential election, Minister of Transportation and Communications Tsai Duei (蔡堆) said yesterday.
Tsai made the comments after the Chinese-language China Times yesterday reported that the Duen Mou Foundation of Taiwan is planning to invest NT$900 million (US$29.1 million) to transform the hotel into a company before the new president takes office in May, with the newly formed company to be managed by board chairman Christine Tsung (
The hotel currently falls under the supervisory authority of the Ministry of Transportation and Telecommunications, with four ministry officials serving as board members.
The Duen Mou Foundation is a non-profit organization that was founded by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) in 1952 and now falls under the ministry's jurisdiction.
"The ministry does not have any agenda [on when it will become a company]," Tsai said yesterday.
"Having been a civil servant for 30 years, I can tell you from experience that it would be impossible for the hotel to become a company by May 20," he said.
Tsai said that, based on government regulations, all hotels should be operated as companies, and that the Grand Hotel should become a company if it is planning to diversify its operations.
To do so, however, the hotel must handle several issues, such as the interests of its employees, which could not possibly be settled in just a day or two, he said.
The Grand Hotel Taipei -- built on the orders of dictator Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and former first lady Soong Mayling (宋美齡) in the 1950s with public funds, on public land and without having to pay tax -- is a Taipei landmark and former venue for state banquets.
Describing the matter as an "issue left behind by history," Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄), when approached for comment outside the legislature yesterday, said the Executive Yuan was unsure whether any change could be carried out prior to May 20.
Chang said that establishing a company to manage the Grand Hotel would help boost the hotel's development.
When asked if the government would be able to maintain control of the company, Chang said the hotel would be run by a judicial person instead of by a corporate system.
The Tourism Bureau said in a statement yesterday that the Executive Yuan had decided to turn the Grand Hotel into a company in 2006. However, preparations for the move had already started in 1999, when the late chairman Koo Chen-fu (辜振甫) presided over the hotel's operations. The hotel's ownership remained an unresolved issue after Koo passed away in Jan. 2005.
The bureau puts the net value of the Grand Hotel's assets at NT$3.37 billion.
Earlier yesterday, the KMT caucus threatened to sue government officials involved in the plan to establish the company.
KMT caucus whip Alex Fai (
"The future of the Grand Hotel cannot be determined until the ministry presents a comprehensive plan to the legislature for approval," KMT Legislator Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) said at the media conference held by Fai.
KMT legislators Hsieh Kuo-liang (
Additional reporting by Flora Wang and CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated