Clashes broke out between police and activists yesterday morning as approximately 100 police officers escorted a demolition team sent to flatten the Sanying Aboriginal Community (三鶯部落) in Taipei County.
The community is scattered on the river banks on both sides of Sanying Bridge (三鶯大橋), which connects Sansia (三峽) and Yingge (鶯歌) townships.
Most of the residents are Amis Aborigines who moved to Taipei to work as construction workers or miners. As they were unable to afford housing in the city, they built their own homes on the east bank of Dahan River (大漢溪) with whatever materials they could find more than 20 years ago.
PHOTO: HUANG LI-HSIANG, TAIPEI TIMES
After having torn down most of the homes in the community located in what is legally defined a "flood area" last week, the county government flattened the last nine homes yesterday, in line with its announcement last week.
But when the demolition team -- escorted by the police -- moved into the community at approximately 9am, they were confronted by nearly 40 activists and residents.
The activists included Aboriginal students from National Taiwan University and National Chengchi University, members of the Sijhou Aboriginal Community Self-Help Organization, the Youth Alliance for Losheng, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, documentary makers and Aboriginal activist and musician Kimbo Hu (胡德夫).
The activists formed a defensive line with bamboo sticks and a human chain, putting the residents behind them.
The police, with shields in hand, pushed through and some protesters fell, while other activists shoved or engaged in verbal exchanges with the police.
Protester Lin Wan-chun (林婉純) was injured and taken to a hospital nearby, while nine other protesters were taken into police custody.
After the police had cleared the scene, the demolition team moved in and flattened the community within an hour-and-a-half.
A simple shelter, with only a wooden frame covered in canvas, which Pan Chin-hua (潘金花) erected after her house was torn down last Thursday, was considered "illegal" and dismantled.
Although they have become homeless, many of the residents have decided to stay at the site.
Families could be seen gathered around bonfires burning wooden structures from their demolished houses on the ground where their home used to be.
There were tents, food, water and clothes donated by the community's supporters from around the country.
"I'll rebuild my home right here," Pan said, while boiling a kettle full of water on a fire on the ground where her home was a week ago.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as