The Taipei District Court yesterday upheld a previous ruling, saying that four family members of Wang You-theng (王又曾), the fugitive founder of the Rebar Asia Pacific Group (力霸亞太企業集團), may be released if they post NT$150 million (US$4.6 million) in bail.
The Taipei District Court on Feb. 4 announced that Wang's younger brother, Frank Wang (王事展), and three of Wang You-theng's children -- China Rebar Co (中國力霸) vice chairman Wang Lin-tai (王令台), Asia Pacific Broadband Telecom Co (亞太固網寬頻) president Wang Lin-i (王令一) and Chia Hsin Food and Synthetic Fiber Co (嘉新食品化纖) chairman Wang Lin-chiao (王令僑) -- could be released after payment of the bail.
The Taipei District Prosecutors' Office filed an appeal with the Taiwan High Court on that day in an attempt to overturn the district court's decision and requested that the suspects be held without bail.
The high court later decided that the Taipei District Court must re-examine its ruling.
The district court held the hearing yesterday afternoon.
The four suspects promised they would not flee from the county and appealed to the court to lower the amount of bail, but the court at 5:30pm decided to maintain its former ruling.
The four were then returned to a detention center.
In an indictment last March, the prosecution said the Wang family obtained illegal benefits by setting up numerous dummy corporations through which they engaged in fraud, insider trading and embezzlement.
The scandal broke in January last year when two Rebar member companies -- Chia Hsin Food and Synthetic Co and China Rebar Co -- filed for bankruptcy restructuring with the Taipei District Court, sparking a run on the Chinese Bank (
Wang You-theng and his wife, Wang Chin She-ying (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as