The Taiwan Competitiveness Forum, a think tank composed of academics, yesterday unveiled the results of an online poll that allowed voters to "recommend" legislative candidates they believed should be boycotted, with nine Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) district legislative candidates making the 10-member list.
At a press conference, forum secretary-general Thomas Peng (彭錦鵬) said the final list of "unqualified" candidates was mostly made up of those who had received frequent media exposure and were considered "controversial" by the public.
The names on the list included DPP legislative candidates Wang Shih-cheng (王世堅), Tsai Chi-fang (蔡啟芳), Lin Chung-mo (林重謨), Hsu Kuo-yung (徐國勇), Pasuya Yao (姚文智), Yu Tien (余天), Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲), Yeh Yi-chin (葉宜津) and Tu Wen-ching (杜文卿) and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislative candidate Chang Chin-chung (張慶忠).
Peng said several factors may have contributed to the results, including the DPP's poor record of administrative achievement, DPP officials being found guilty of corruption and the DPP's unpopular handling of the recent controversy over the voting procedure.
Peng said 10,175 people over 20 years of age had taken part in the online poll so far.
He said the results were credible, as the forum had publicized the campaign among voters from across the political spectrum.
The campaign was given equal exposure in three major Chinese-language newspapers -- the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times' sister newspaper), the United Daily News and the China Times -- after the forum was launched early last month, he said.
Peng said DPP legislator-at-large candidates Wang Sing-nan (王幸男), Yu Shyi-kun and Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) had often topped the legislator-at-large boycott list in the past four weeks.
"This shows that the party's [legislative] nomination procedure was flawed," he said.
"The public generally believes that the DPP is good at campaigning, but [some of] its great incumbent legislators failed to be nominated by the party this year," Peng said.
When, earlier last month, Peng was asked whether putting the campaign's Web site on the China Times platform might raise suspicions that the campaign was meant to benefit a certain camp, he replied that the China Times only provided the platform but did not interfere.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as