Taiwan's de facto ambassador to Washington, Joseph Wu (
Wu said the plan threatens the "status quo" and called on Washington to speak out against it.
Wu raised the issue during a speech at the Heritage Foundation think tank, elevating it to a matter of foreign policy concern.
"I think we all need to stand up to China and tell Beijing that it is threatening the `status quo' across the Taiwan Strait," Wu said.
"And if we speak out against China, then China might learn that threatening the `status quo' ... may not be conducive to peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait," he said.
The US State Department had no immediate comment on Wu's remarks about the air route, but questions have been raised in Washington over the Bush administration's willingness to assist Taipei this time, given recent Taiwan-US political strains.
Nevertheless, it was believed that the State Department was working on some response to the Chinese initiative.
Beijing recently filed a formal application with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Asian regional office in Bangkok to initiate regular service on Jan. 1.
Based on the plan, flights would run some 4.2 nautical miles (7.8km) west of the centerline.
Since the People's Liberation Army (PLA) is in charge of China's civilian aviation and airspace, the bid to operate regularly on Taiwan's side of the strait is seen as a militarily provocative move, rather than simply a civilian transportation action.
In addition, the planned flights could pose a safety hazard as they would cross existing flight paths between the offshore islands of Matsu and Kinmen and Taiwan proper.
"I think China's behavior is reckless," Wu told academics, former government officials and journalists during his presentation.
He said that China's Civil Aviation Administration has already issued a press release saying that the Central Military Commission and the State Council had approved the route.
The press release was made late last month and the military commission approved the plan early this month.
President Chen Shui-bian (
Chen also said that Beijing was seeking ICAO's blessing to create a so-called "Air Defense Identification Zone" within the Strait to limit the entry of foreign aircraft in a bid to prevent Japan and the US from spying on China.
The air traffic route would be in an area of heavy traffic in the air and at sea.
"It's not only dangerous, but also threatens to change the international `status quo' over the Taiwan Strait," Wu said.
As Taiwan is not a member of ICAO, it cannot communicate its concerns directly with the body and has been unable to determine how far Beijing's application has gone in the approval process.
Wu said that Taiwan's exclusion from the global aviation organization was "painful" and that it prevented Taipei from getting "any kind of information" from the organization.
Officials in Taiwan have said Taipei found out about the Chinese plan indirectly through Hong Kong authorities.
"What we are trying to do right now is tell our friends that this [Beijing's planned route] changes the `status quo' in the Taiwan Strait, that it threatens regional peace and security and compromises Taiwan's ability to defend itself," Wu said.
"Some friendly countries have been helping Taiwan in this regard, but we have yet to learn of any specific progress on this issue," he said.
He did not provide details on Washington's response to Taiwan's entreaties.
The Nelson Report, a well-connected Washington insider newsletter, wrote recently that while "it is the United States that usually supports Taipei in organizations like the ICAO when there is a real problem, this looks like it might be a real problem, nibbling away at the island's [sic] strategic depth."
"But [Chen's] approach to the current elections campaign, and Washington's belief that he has paid too little attention to American security interests, may have reduced greatly our [US] incentive to carry Taiwan's water's in ICAO," it said.
"Given Chen's machinations, [the] State [Department] is afraid that anything they do to support Taiwan's legitimate international space just gets twisted by the dark greens," a source has said.
Washington is also smarting from the USS Kitty Hawk incident, in which China denied the aircraft carrier group last month a Thanksgiving port holiday in Hong Kong, purportedly in retaliation for massive US arms sales to Taiwan, after which the group sailed up the Taiwan Strait in apparent revenge for the Chinese snub.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as