The Department of Health (DOH) has approved the use of an intragastric balloon treatment, giving new hope in the fight against obesity.
The treatment consists of inserting a soft, expandable balloon made of a pliable silicone material into the stomach through a tube in the mouth.
Once inside the stomach, the balloon is immediately filled with a sterile saline solution through a small catheter. The catheter is then removed.
The balloon floats in the stomach and gives the patient a feeling of partial fullness, thus reducing appetite. After six months, the patient returns to have the balloon removed.
Liao Chi-chou (
Hsiao Tun-jen (蕭敦仁), the doctor who introduced the intragastric balloon treatment to Taiwan in cooperation with Min Shen General Hospital in Taoyuan City, says the treatment has proven its effectiveness in helping obese patients lose weight.
Between August last year and August this year, Hsiao and the hospital conducted clinical trials on 12 patients suffering from morbid obesity or for whom other treatments for obesity had proven ineffective.
According to their test results, the treatment helped the patients lose an average of 12 percent of their total body weight.
Hsiao said the treatment offers an alternative to patients who may be wary of undergoing surgery.
He added that the side effects of the treatment, including, nausea, acid reflux and mild pain in the upper stomach, can be controlled with medication.
Furthermore, he said, the treatment is reversible, so patients who find they cannot live with the device can have the balloon removed without any ill effects.
Although the DOH has approved the intragastric balloon treatment for certain categories of obese patients, the treatment is not covered by the national health insurance scheme. Therefore patients opting for the treatment will have to cover the full cost, to the tune of approximately NT$120,000.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as