Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (
The KMT's proposed amendment to the law, which stipulates that commission members, whose number varies from 11 to 19, must be selected according to the ratio of seats held by each political party in the legislature, failed to pass the legislature in June because of a pan-green camp boycott.
As the dispute between the central government and the 18 pan-blue-controlled local governments over the Jan. 12 legislative election voting process intensifies, Wu yesterday said the KMT should once again push for the amendment to highlight the pan-green camp's attempt to "control" the Central Election Commission (CEC).
PHOTO: LIN CHENG-KUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
"The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) boycotted the `legalization' of the CEC in order to control it," Wu said while addressing the KMT election campaign team at party headquarters.
PUSHING
Saying that party legislators should push for the passage of the amendment during the current legislative term, Wu criticized President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) for turning the commission into an electoral tool of the DPP, adding that the KMT should not ignore the "crisis" before the election.
"We will accept the results of the election as long as the judge is fair," Wu said.
KMT presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) joined Wu at the event, lashing out at Chen for "kidnapping the people" by controlling important bills and expressed his support for the KMT's decision to push for the amendment.
"By refusing to negotiate with local governments on the voting process, the central government is showing arrogance. It's very inappropriate," he said.
Ma said the amendment to the CEC was legitimate and that the DPP should not boycott it.
At a separate event yesterday, KMT caucus whip Tseng Yung-chuan (
"The controversy of whether to adopt a `one-step' or `two-step' voting procedure obviously stems from the fact that CEC operations are not regulated by law," Tseng said.
DPP TOOL
Calling the CEC a "tool" and an "accomplice" of the DPP, Tseng said the caucus believed it was "urgent" to "legalize" the CEC immediately after the legislative interpellation session ended.
The KMT caucus' insistence on pushing through the proposed amendment by the end of the last legislative session earlier this year led to deadlock as the DPP caucus insisted on first reviewing the 2007 fiscal budget bill.
The wrangling between the pan-green and pan-blue camps in the last legislative session marked the first time in the legislature's history that the central government's fiscal budget had remained stalled after the fiscal year had begun.
The Budget Act (預算法) stipulates that the legislature should complete its review of the central government budget bill one month before the start of the fiscal year.
The budget bill was not approved by the legislature until June 16 -- almost 10 months after it was referred to the legislature in September last year.
The legislature is currently reviewing the government's 2008 fiscal budget bill.
KMT Legislator Wu Yu-sheng (
Asked for comment, Tseng said he would enhance communication with the speaker regarding the proposal.
In response, the DPP caucus said yesterday it was ready to go head to head with the KMT if the latter were to insist on the amendment.
Some DPP legislators have threatened to use violence to prevent the passing of the amendment.
"We do not have the word `give up' in our dictionary," DPP whip Ker Chien-ming (
The DPP will not negotiate and will not tolerate KMT attempts to shuffle priorities of the pending proposals, Ker said.
Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) said the legislature would schedule the handling of the bills in accordance with procedure, while urging the ruling and opposition parties not to encourage violence.
Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as