Following President Chen Shui-bian's (
Chen raised eyebrows on Sunday night when he said during a campaign rally in Shulin (樹林), Taipei County, that he was considering four options -- declaring martial law, annulling the results of elections in pan-blue-controlled areas, replacing local election commission heads, or asking the Central Election Commission (CEC) to postpone the elections.
The CEC on Nov. 16 decided to use a one-step voting procedure in which voters will receive two ballots for the legislative elections and two referendum ballots at the same time and cast them into four different boxes.
PHOTO: CNA
However, 18 pan-blue local government chiefs insist on following a two-step voting process, whereby voters first cast their legislative election ballots before receiving their referendum ballots.
Chen reiterated yesterday that he would not impose martial law during his presidency. He said the then Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government did not do so after the devastating earthquake on Sept. 21, 1999, nor did he do so at the height of a campaign to oust him last year.
Urging the public to follow the CEC's decision, Chen said he believed the CEC would negotiate with the 18 counties and cities over the issue and that it would handle the matter in the most appropriate manner.
He criticized the opposition's attempt to boycott the one-step voting system as a move aimed at protecting the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) "stolen assets" and opposing the government campaign to join the UN under the name Taiwan.
"Their purpose is to let Taiwan become part of China and prevent Taiwan from becoming an independent state," he said. "Voting is our constitutional right. The administration will do its best to protect this right and maintain order at polling stations."
A report in the Chinese-language United Daily News yesterday implied that TV political commentator Chen Li-hung (陳立宏) and political talk show host Cheng Hung-yi (鄭弘儀) were the instigators.
Chen Li-hung did not deny the speculation yesterday.
He told a TV program on SET-TV that the comments he made on a TV talk show dealt only with the voting dispute and were not targeted at any particular individual or party.
But Chen Li-hung dismissed talk that he advised the president on the matter because he, as well as the other guests and the host of the program, had not met or talked with Chen recently.
Nor were they planning to do so, he said.
Chen Li-hung also criticized the president for making such rash statements and misleading the public into thinking they were the troublemakers.
As the head of state, Chen is in no position to say that he is considering invalidating the election results, he said.
"Is that what a responsible politician should do?" he asked. "While he should be spending time and effort trying to figure out a way to deal with the problem, all he does is carry on stumping for DPP candidates."
Meanwhile, Legislator David Huang (黃適卓), a former member of the Taiwan Solidarity Union, yesterday revealed that his father, former TSU chairman Huang Chu-wen (黃主文), had made the recommendation that the CEC replace local election commission heads and delay the elections if necessary.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty