Despite a well-designed system to respond to domestic violence cases and sex crimes, a shortage of budgeting and professional help still hurts the effectiveness of the victim support network, activists said at a conference yesterday.
The activists made the remarks at a forum hosted by the Taiwan Coalition Against Violence, which comprises more than 20 children's and women's protection groups.
The conference began with a review of the top 10 news items on violence against children and women from the beginning of the year until the end of September.
Among the top 10 news items included cases of date rape, sexual harassment in public places, child abuse and parents who killed their children and themselves.
"We have several very good laws and a well-designed system to discover and to sanction offenders in such cases," said Hsu Hui-yi (
STAFFING AND MONEY
Lin Tzu-ling (
Lin said that the availability of staffing and budgeting for community monitoring and psychological counseling of offenders are both running short.
Lin cited the example of the release earlier this year of a former sex offender surnamed Yang (
Yang, who committed several sex crimes, was released on parole in September.
However, some critics questioned the professionalism of an evaluation report that resulted in his release, as the volunteer social worker who wrote the report was an engineer and did not have any training in psychological counseling.
"The number of social workers for victims across the country is several hundreds of people short," said Gau Fehng-shian (
LACK OF EQUIPMENT
"Some police officers have also complained to me that they don't have enough equipment such as voice recorders or video recorders," she said.
Hsu also said there was a lack of professional training among law professionals.
"Very few [judges and prosecutors] received training in handling domestic violence cases and sex crime during their education," she said. "That's why the ridiculous verdict on the 10-second breast-touching' case was handed down."
Hsu was referring to a case in August in which a man who was charged with sexually harassing a woman by touching her breasts for 10 seconds was ruled to be not guilty when the judge decided that a period of 10 seconds was not long enough to qualify for sexual harassment.
To make up for the shortage of available help, the coalition has decided to set up a hotline next year, Gau said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as