A former Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MOJIB) officer who fled the country in June this year was repatriated from Malaysia yesterday.
Ou Tsung-jung (歐宗融), formerly an investigator with the MOJIB Taipei Office, was indicted by the Taipei District Prosecutors' Office on charges of corruption, embezzlement and theft in late 2001 on suspicion of having stolen 34 antiques or artifacts owned by former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Wu Tse-yuan (伍澤元).
Wu was indicted in 1996 on charges of corruption related to two graft cases involving the building of two water processing plants in Taipei County.
Ou had been one of the MOJIB agent's investigating Wu's involvement in the alleged crimes.
In November 1996, the investigators searched Wu's residence and removed 77 antiques, bronzes, ivory carvings and other artifacts as evidence.
In March 2001, after his indictment, Wu demanded the return of all his property.
The MOJIB Taipei Office checked the items and found that 34 were missing.
Ou's colleagues than searched his residence and discovered the missing items.
They also discovered checks and IOUs is suspected of having embezzled from other cases he had handled.
After he was given a prison term of five years and four months for graft, embezzlement and theft in late 2001, Ou appealed. Judges from the Supreme Court upheld the sentence.
Ou again appealed, and in June this year the National Police Agency was informed that Ou had fled the country, together with his family, for Malaysia using passports from Belize.
The National Police Agency then informed the Malaysian police, who in turn apprehended Ou on Oct. 1 on an expired visa.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as