Legal experts said the recent failure of Kaohsiung prosecutors to indict once-notorious gangster and ex-con Yang Shuang-wu (
The prosecutors announced last week that after 14 months' investigation no solid evidence had been found to prove that Yang was the boss of a crime gang or that he had influenced anyone to commit crimes since he was released on parole in September 2003.
Yang was arrested on June 25 last year after a dramatic raid by Kaohsiung prosecutors and police officers on his Kaohsiung residence. At the time it was alleged that Yang and more than 10 others had been blackmailing gravel companies, discos and other businesses in the south since his release from prison.
PHOTO: HUANG LIANG-CHIEH, TAIPEI TIMES
Investigators said Yang and his colleagues might have broken the Organized Crime Prevention Act (
Lin Ching-tsung (林慶宗), a prosecutor with the Kaohsiung branch of the Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office, told the Taipei Times that because investigators did not find any weapons, written rules or organizational documents about Yang's gang when they raided Yang's home, prosecutors did not have solid evidence that Yang had led his alleged gang members in illegal activities.
The boss of a Kaohsiung disco has testified that more than 100 men led by Yang's top associate twice occupied his disco in 2004 because he refused to pay protection money to Yang, Lin said. The owner of a gravel company also told prosecutors that more than 100 alleged gangsters sent by Yang caused a riot at his son's wedding in January last year, Lin said.
However, none of Yang's associates have admitted to any wrongdoing or turned witness for the prosecutors, he said.
The victims' testimony alone is not enough to bring the case to court, Lin said.
Chang Hsueh-ming (張學明), lead prosecutor at the Kaohsiung branch of the Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office, said the enactment of the Organized Crime Prevention Act in December 1996 was aimed at cracking down on notorious gangs such as the Bamboo Union and Four Seas, which are well organized with leaders, branches and strict regulations.
Investigators have been able to tackle these gangs, Chang said.
However, smaller groups such as the one allegedly run by Yang were tough to crack, he said, especially since they do not have written rules or organization material which could be used as evidence against them.
Chang said organized crime was rampant in Taiwan, noting that several professional baseball players have faced blackmail or extortion attempts in recent years and that gang involvement in baseball games is rife, jeopardizing the sport.
Chang said the law might need to be amended to help law enforcement personnel attack organized crime gangs more efficiently.
A Kaohsiung police officer surnamed Yeh said that Yang has been active in the city's underworld since he returned home in 2003.
Earlier this year singer Yu Tien (余天) invited Yang, who was involved in the entertainment business in Kaohsiung decades ago, to become director of an entertainer's union in the city, Yeh said.
Yang became one of the nation's most wanted men after he shot pop star Kao Ling-fong (高凌風) in the hip in Kaohsiung in April 1983 and then fled to Japan, where his Japanese mother lives.
Kao later said that Yang had been angry with him because he had backed out of performing in a show sponsored by Yang in favor of doing another show.
Another Yang business deal ended in violence in 1987. Yang murdered Taiwanese gangster Liu Wei-min (
In July 1990 Yang went to Thailand to avoid arrest by Japanese police, but he was picked up by Thai police and escorted back to Taiwan. Later that year Yang was convicted of shooting Kao and some lesser crimes and sentenced to life in prison.
He was paroled in 2003 after serving 13 years.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as