A Democratic Progressive Party legislator threatened yesterday to launch a recall drive against Ilan County Commissioner Lu Kuo-hua (呂國華) if he insists on replacing a popular children's folkgame festival with a new activity.
Chen Chin-de (
restrictions
Chen's comments came in the wake of Lu's announcement a day earlier that his office would unveil a plan for next year's summer activities at the end of September, which he guaranteed would not be smaller than the existing festival.
Lu, of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), also said that the phrase "children's folkgames" has restricted the event's development.
In response, Chen said that the "children's folkgame festival" is a "brandname" that the county is proud of.
The event should not be closed for good "just because the commissioner is not willing to organize such a big festival," Chen said.
He said that since Lu announced an end to the annual summer festival, there have been increasing protests against the move from the industrial and cultural sectors, as well as on the Internet.
Many Internet users have even joined an online campaign to depose Lu, he said.
world event
Chen said that 127 art and music troupes from 67 countries around the world have performed in the festival since its 1996 inception. So far, it has been visited by more than 5 million people and has generated countless business benefits.
The colorful and festive event is of profound significance in the fields of city diplomacy, economic benefit and cultural arts, Chen said.
Lu explained, however, that heavy losses incurred by the annual festival over the past two years have made it necessary to bring down the curtain on the event for good.
Lu said the two-month festival has created a financial burden of approximately NT$50 million (US$1.5 million) for the county government during each of the last two years despite efforts to curb costs.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and