The National Communications Commission (NCC) members who took part in Tuesday's review of the Broadcasting Corporation of China's application to transfer its shares to four companies will be referred to the judiciary, a government spokesman said yesterday.
Government Information Office Minister Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) said that the referral would take place within a week at the latest.
"In the meantime, [the government] doesn't rule out the possibility of suspending the authority of NCC members," Shieh told a press conference after an inter-departmental meeting was held on how to react to the approval.
PHOTO: LIU HSIN-DE, TAIPEI TIMES
Shieh said that government officials had ascertained during the meeting that the four companies along with four other companies claiming to be shareholders of one of the first four companies, were "front companies" owned by [former UFO Radio chairman] Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康) and his wife Liang Lei (梁蕾).
"As a result, the transaction was illegal and the NCC members are thus under suspicion of dereliction of duty and aiding Jaw," Shieh said.
The NCC on Tuesday approved the BCC's application to transfer its shares to four companies and another application to install Jaw as chairman of its board after the BCC promised it would unconditionally return two radio frequencies to the government.
Shieh said that Jaw established the eight companies as a means to circumvent a regulation of the Enforcement Rule of the Broadcasting and Television Law (
"Jaw actually owns about 40 percent to 50 percent of the BCC's shares," Shieh said.
Shieh said that officials with the Financial Supervisory Commission, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Taipei Business Administration Office told the inter-departmental meeting that they had expressed doubts about the eight companies to the NCC, but the NCC members didn't bother to investigate the facts behind the deal.
In response, NCC spokesperson Howard Shyr (
He said that what Shieh had mentioned in his statement about the registration and the shareholders' meetings are regulated by the Corporation Law (
Shyr emphasized that the commission had been as thorough as possible when reviewing the case.
For example, he said, the commission had garnered official replies from the High Prosecutors' Office and the High Court indicating that none of the proposed persons in charge had any committed any criminal acts.
He said that the Ministry of Economic Affairs had also informed the commission in March that they could not find any problems with the four shareholding companies.
Shyr said that the BCC has promised to fulfill every requirement in its agreement with the commission. If the Executive Yuan finds anything inappropriate in how the case was handled, it should gain a thorough understanding by consulting with the different administrative organizations in charge.
"Before Shieh, there were seven other GIO ministers, and none of them managed to get the two frequencies back from the BCC," he said. "The commission got the BCC to unconditionally return them."
Earlier yesterday, Democratic Progressive Party Chairman Yu Shyi-kun urged the Cabinet to relieve NCC Chairman Su Yeong-ching (蘇永欽) of his duties, charging him with malfeasance and profiting the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT).
"The KMT obtained its assets through unjust means. It is a consensus among the public that these assets should be recovered," Yu said.
Yu said he had reported the KMT's controversial sale of its stolen assets to the Ministry of Justice last November, but the ministry's Special Investigation Division had not yet looked into the controversies.
Yu said that the second stage of the party's campaign for a referendum on recovering the KMT's stolen assets had garnered over 1.4 million signatures.
The Referendum Law (公投法) states that the signatures of 5 percent of the nation's eligible voters, or 830,000 names, must be collected before a referendum can take place.
The DPP campaign had collected 1,424,478 signatures as of Tuesday, Yu said.
Yu said the party would submit the signatures to the Cabinet for verification, adding that the party hopes the referendum can be held along with next year's legislative or presidential election.
Additional reporting by Flora Wang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as