Talk show host Lee Tao (
"I am sorry for the mistake made by [TVBS] reporters and believe I should take full responsibility for it," Lee said in a statement.
"Please give the TVBS news team one more chance to correct the mistake ... Let them prove to you their determination to pursue quality news," Lee said.
"I hope that my resignation will stop some politicians and the media from raging and seeking revenge against TVBS," he added.
TVBS' board of directors also issued an official statement yesterday that it had grudgingly approved Lee's resignation.
"The National Communications Commission's [NCC] resolution asking us to replace the station's general manager may involve some legal issues, and we reserve the right to file a lawsuit against this injustice," the statement said.
Lee's position will temporarily be filled by Lin Chia-hsin (
Li Siduan (
Stations fined
The announcement came after the commission issued a ruling last week that TVBS and TVBS-N would each be penalized NT$1 million (NT$30,200) for mishandling the gangster footage broadcast last week.
The commission also asked the stations to replace the company's general manager and deputy general manager for failing to control news quality and to act in a responsible manner.
Controversies surrounding the NCCs ruling were also the focus of a question-and-answer session at the legislature's Sci-tech and Information Committee yesterday.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Kuo Chun-ming (
Kuo also asked NCC chairman Su Yeong-chin (
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lwo Shih-hsiung (
"The commission has apparently overextended its authority in this regard," Lwo said.
In response, Su said he had no plan to resign any time soon, adding that the NCC had no intention of making any changes to its ruling.
He added that the commission would offer a more detailed and thorough explanation of the ruling to the public today.
Su reiterated that the resolution does not target any specific person, including Lee Tao.
He said the commission has the authority to ask TVBS to replace its managers, but it would not ask who they must choose to fill these positions.
"The TVBS incident is a very special case in the history of Taiwan's journalism," Su said.
"It is more appropriate to handle it as an isolated case rather than some precedent-setting principle," he added.
Infractions
When asked about the Cabinet's planned release of a report on the NCC's 10 major infractions, Su said he only knew of 10 questions that the Cabinet had asked in regard to the commission's operations and its members' conduct.
The questions include whether commissioners Wu Chung-chi (吳忠吉), Jimmy Hsieh (謝進男) and Liu Zong-de (劉宗德) have held other government positions, or whether commissioners Lee Tsu-yuan (李祖源) and Liu Yu-li (劉幼琍) may have a conflict of interest in reviewing the cases of China Television Co and Broadcasting Corporation of China.
The commission has sent formal replies to these questions to the Cabinet, he said.
also see story:
Executive Yuan to release NCC report in the near future
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated