Several celebrities from the art world visited the Lo Sheng Sanatorium yesterday and expressed support for its preservation based on its cultural value.
Among the figures were Lin Hwai-min (林懷民) and Hou Hsiao-hsien (侯孝賢). Lin is the founder of the Cloud Gate dance troupe and Hou is a renowned film director who has won several international film awards.
Lo Sheng is a leprosarium built in 1930 where thousands of lepers were once quarantined for life. A plan to tear down most of the buildings on the 17-hectare site to make room for a Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) depot has met with strong opposition.
PHOTO: CHEN WEN-CHUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
"People often believe the Lo Sheng case is a debate between a public construction project and a cultural heritage site ... That is wrong," said Liao Hsien-hao (廖咸浩), former director of the Taipei City Department of Cultural Affairs.
"It's not a win-lose game. Culture and public construction projects can actually coexist," Liao added.
Last year, a construction consultant company based in Britain proposed a design by which 90 percent of the leprosarium would be preserved, with the MRT depot being completed only a few months later than planned.
"We Taiwanese always try to arrange things. Why can't we arrange this?" Hou asked.
Hou added that Lo Sheng Sanitorium was a key relic in Taiwan's history.
"It [Lo Sheng] actually records our ignorance and the violence of the state in the past," Hou said.
Lin agreed, and warned that Taiwan would become a nation without memory if public works didn't respect history.
"We began to learn Taiwan's history in the 1980s. Yet, with cries for development, many of our historical markers have been torn down," Lin said.
"When I walked into this place, what I felt could never be replaced by history classes or textbooks," he added.
Since Lo Sheng's future remains uncertain, Hou said he wanted to make a documentary to record the struggle for the leprosarium's preservation.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated