With the Taipei County Government's deadline for the eviction of leprosy patients from Lo Sheng Sanatorium approaching, a group of sanatorium residents yesterday appealed to Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) to speed up the passage of a bill which they hope can help save their home.
The county government issued an ultimatum early this month saying that it would resort to forcible eviction if residents fail to move out by April 16.
The Sinjhuang compound is to be demolished make way for construction of a Mass Rapid Transit depot.
Although a series of protests calling for the preservation of the sanatorium have been staged recently, the government seems reluctant to change its initial plan.
And although Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said recently he would find an acceptable solution to the dispute, he didn't guarantee the sanitorium would be saved, said Chan Ming-chou (詹銘洲), a member of the Hansen's Patients Human Rights Violation Investigation Committee.
"The Taipei County government still has no intention of revoking its demolition plan. We therefore called on the speaker to help us save the sanatorium and safeguard the residents' human rights through legislative measures," he added.
Several lawmakers across party lines last week reached consensus on a bill designed to compensate leprosy patients mistreated by the government, preserve the sanatorium and defend patients' right to live in the area.
"Although we made a little progress with the bill, it's still not enough to preserve the Lo Sheng Sanatorium," said Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛).
"On the one hand, the bill has to clear the legislature by April 13, but some lawmakers have said they will oppose it," she added.
Lai said the initial consensus on the bill was reached because lawmakers that support the demolition were absent, adding she was concerned an agreement would prove elusive during the next round of negotiations.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated