President Chen Shui-bian (
Su, while answering a question asked by a nominee for this year's National Youth Public Participation Award, was caught off-guard at the Taipei Guest House yesterday morning when a man accused him of lying.
The man, Lee Chun-da (
Su responded by saying that some people might think that he did not care much about the relocation of the facility, but that was not the case. He added that the government has offered compensation to patients and built a new sanitarium for them, many of whom found the environment quite satisfactory.
"Liar!" Lee shouted.
Visibly stunned by Lee's jeering, Su paused for a moment before he went on to say that the Executive Yuan did not have the authority to approve or disapprove the decision of the Taipei City and Taipei County governments, which plan to take the hospital apart and reconstruct part of it somewhere else.
On whether the hospital should be preserved, Su said that he would leave it to the experts and government agencies in charge.
While the Taipei County Government is responsible for affairs of cultural preservation, the Taipei City Government is in charge of traffic construction projects. Su said the two governments notified the Executive Yuan of their decision last year.
"It is not easy to strike a balance between cultural preservation and construction," he said.
The sanitarium was built in 1930 in Sinjhuang (
The Japanese government has admitted its inhumane treatment of the patients and victims have taken their battle for compensation to the courts. They won a victory last year when a Japanese judge ruled they were entitled to redress.
The Taipei City and Taipei County governments had originally planned to demolish the 70-year-old facility to make way for the Xinzhuang Line of the mass rapid transit (MRT) line.
Patients and human-rights advocates, however, refuse to give up the hospital, and the Council for Cultural Affairs would like to see it preserved as an historic site.
Chen said yesterday that he believed both the central and local governments have exerted themselves in the matter, and if some people still find their behavior unsatisfactory, he would like them to talk to Su face-to-face to prevent any further misunderstandings.
also see story:
Indie-music scene mobilizes with concert to protest land grab
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated