Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman and presidential hopeful Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday shrugged off disputes over the issue of the KMT's presidential nomination, expressing confidence in his bid for president.
"The grassroots [supporters] know which ticket will win the election, and they only care about who can win ... I don't want to say it. You should go and ask them," Ma told reporters yesterday during a visit to Chiayi County.
In response to Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng's (王金平) refusal to play second fiddle and run as the vice-presidential candidate on the party's ticket, Ma said he realized that grassroots supporters did not take the pair-up issue too seriously, adding that he would focus his attention on seeking solutions to Taiwan's economic difficulties.
The comments by Ma and Wang yesterday further complicated the party's efforts to end the fierce rivalry between the two and persuade them to run on a joint ticket in the presidential election more difficult.
Former KMT chairman Lien Chan (連戰) and KMT Acting Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) have negotiated with Ma and Wang several times, but have so far failed to reach a conclusion that is satisfactory to the duo.
Although Wu had demanded that Ma and Wang select each other as running mate if nominated, Wang and Ma have not publicly agreed to the idea.
Lashing out at the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for ignoring the issue of people's livelihoods over the past seven years, Ma pledged to improve the economy and vowed to increase subsidies for seniors and the elderly farmers allowance if elected.
Meanwhile, upset by recent speculation that Lien was unhappy with his failure to persuade Wang to take over the party chairmanship, despite Lien's denial of such rumors, Wu decided to invite both Lien and Wang to explain the matter to the media.
Wu made the move in response to reports in Chinese-language newspapers the United Daily News and China Times that said Lien had asked Wu to invite Wang to take over the chairmanship during a private meeting last Tuesday, and was upset that Wu entered the by-election instead.
Lien on Friday admitted that he preferred Wang as the KMT's new chairman, but denied ever asking Wu to help him persuade Wang.
The KMT's acting chairman office director Huang Yu-cheng (黃玉振) said yesterday that Wu had decided to explain the matter in public with Lien and Wang in order to prevent any further speculation about the matter.
"Wu has explained the matter several times, but some people tried to distort the facts by spreading rumors to the media, and so he wanted to explain what really happened," Huang said.
Wu said on Friday that he had urged Lien to take over as chairman during their private meeting, and told him he would enter the by-election if Lien didn't want to do so.
Meanwhile, Wang yesterday said that he favored a Wang-Ma rather than a Ma-Wang presidential ticket, saying that the former one was a winning combination.
"If [I were to be paired up with Ma], of course it should be a Wang-Ma ticket," Wang told reporters when asked for comment on Ma's earlier remarks.
"Everyone wants the best for himself and will strive for it. I don't remember whether I have spoken about this, but what I am thinking about in my heart is a Wang-Ma ticket," Wang said.
Wang said that a Ma-Wang ticket would not be a threat to the DPP because the DPP has prepared itself for beating Ma in next year's presidential election.
"Only a presidential ticket led by a pro-localization candidate can help the KMT win the election," Wang said, without elaborating.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as