Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) yesterday urged China to deport Rebar Asia Pacific Group (力霸亞太企業集團) chairman Wang You-theng (王又曾).
"Many Taiwanese white-collar criminals escape to China. Some of them even make donations to local organizations in China," Su said.
"What they have done really irritates Taiwanese people. I hereby urge the Chinese government to help send them back to Taiwan," he said.
In a separate setting, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday said that the party would be willing to make contact "via certain channels" with Chinese authorities to ask that Wang be sent back to Taiwan.
He also called on the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) not to shift blame onto the KMT because Wang was a party member, at one point serving in the party's central standing committee.
"The DPP has been the ruling party for seven years, and established the Financial Supervisory Commission. Determining whether or not the bank had problems is the responsibility of the DPP," Ma said while touring Yunlin County.
Earlier in the day, DPP officials had urged Ma to help push China to repatriate Taiwanese criminals to face justice.
A spokesman for the DPP, Super Meng (孟義超), and China affairs department director Lai I-chung (賴怡忠) asked Ma to negotiate with China.
Mung said that many former KMT officials had committed crimes in Taiwan and had fled to China.
Meanwhile, Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Lai Shin-yuan (
Because China is a party to the United Nations Convention against Corruption, and since the Chinese government has expressed its determination to crack down on graft, Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) should assist Taiwan in repatriating Wang, Lai said.
"Since the Kinmen Agreement was signed, the government has sent at least 700 Chinese suspects in Taiwan back to China," Lai said.
In September 1990, Red Cross organizations on both sides of the Taiwan Strait signed the first cross-strait agreement between non-official bodies -- the Kinmen Agreement -- which detailed a process for the return of large numbers of illegal immigrants from China.
"China shouldn't let itself become a haven in which Taiwanese criminals can seek asylum," Lai said.
Editorial: Evading justice, Chinese style
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and