A proposal sponsored by pan-blue legislators to reinstate an 18 percent special interest rate on savings for retired civil servants, military personnel and teachers failed to pass in the legislature yesterday as Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said they were prepared to launch a filibuster should the pan-blues attempt to force passage of the proposal.
In November last year, the Executive Yuan passed an administrative order abolishing the preferential pension interest rate because the nation's banks only offer savings account interest rates of 1 percent to 2 percent.
Pan-blue lawmakers yesterday demanded that their proposal to nullify the Executive Yuan's administrative order be reviewed as the first bill of the day's agenda on the floor, but DPP lawmakers insisted that establishing a statute for creating a committee to manage labor pension funds should come first.
Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) tried to begin cross-party negotiations on the agenda at 9am, but because lawmakers failed to reach consensus on it and a handful of other controversial bills, the meeting was adjourned until Tuesday.
DPP Legislator Lin Shu-shan (
"The lawmakers who enjoy the 18 percent preferential interest rate -- or who have family members that enjoy it -- should not voice an opinion about the proposal," Lin told the press.
PFP Spokesman Lee Hung-chun (
"They deserved the preferential pension system," he said.
DPP Legislator Lu Tien-lin (盧天麟) said that his party's proposed statute to create a committee to manage labor pension funds would benefit the country and millions of laborers.
"Labor pensions have accumulated to NT$126 billion so far. Without the committee, the government can't manage the funds in an efficient way," Lu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as