The country has reported its first ever case of Chikungunya fever, a Center for Disease Control (CDC) official said yesterday.
A 13-year-old Taiwanese student was detected with a high fever at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on Nov. 20 upon his return from Singapore where he studies.
At the time, he said he was suffering from fever and fatigue and after examining a blood sample from the boy, the CDC announced that he had contracted Chikungunya fever.
"This disease is very similar to Dengue fever, but less likely to be fatal" said Chou Jih-haw (
Chikungunya fever patients suffer substantial joint pain in addition to Dengue fever-like symptoms such as fever, headaches and muscular aches, Chou said.
"When the patient entered Taiwan, heat-registering cameras at the airport indicated that he had a fever" said Chou, "We were able to conduct a blood test on the spot."
If the virus is still in its incubating phase, it is impossible to detect carriers at the airport, said Chou.
Like Dengue-fever sufferers who are stopped at the airport, the Chikungunya sufferer was allowed to enter Taiwan with no restrictions on movement.
However, the sufferer and his family will be medically monitored and the environs of his home sprayed for mosquitos to prevent the potential spread of the disease.
"So far, none of his family have come down with the disease," said Chou, "We think the risk of the disease spreading and taking root in Taiwan is small."
However, Chou has asked that doctors be on the lookout for apparent Dengue cases that could be Chikungunya Fever.
Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑惠), deputy director of the CDC's fifth division, said 94 Dengue fever suffers are known to have entered Taiwan this year.
Of the 94, two thirds were stopped at the airport after being identified by heat-registering camera technology and the rest were tracked down following alerts from medical professionals.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as