Prosecutor Eric Chen (陳瑞仁) made his mark on history when he announced on Friday the indictment of first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) on corruption charges -- the first time ever in Taiwan's history that an immediate member of the first family has ever been charged.
Who is Eric Chen?
Although he has been in the public spotlight for months since he undertook the investigation of the alleged misuse of the "state affairs fund," very few people know the man behind the case.
In May 1998, a group of prosecutors nationwide announced the establishment of the Prosecutors' Reform Association, and the main figure of the association is Eric Chen, who was then Shihlin District prosecutor.
The association was founded at a time when the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government was widely believed to be manipulating prosecutors to keep them from indicting of investigating government officials or big business tycoons.
"The establishment of the association was actually driven by the prosecutors' discontent with then-minister of justice Liao Cheng-hao (
The association was established to empower prosecutors and give them more room to strive for independence, Lin said.
However, developing such a group was not easy because most prosecutors have strong opinions, making it hard to arrive at a consensus on issues.
Eric Chen was one of the key figures who contributed to the successful establishment of the group, Lin said.
Not long after the association was set up, Chen was offered the position of lead prosecutor, which he declined, saying he preferred to stay with young prosecutors and that he did not want people to see his promotion as a reward by the Ministry of Justice.
"We are so proud of Eric Chen's performance. He has helped promote independence in the nation's prosecutorial system, which is very helpful to our democracy," Lin Ching-tsung (林慶宗), a prosecutor with the Kaohsiung branch of the Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office, told the Taipei Times.
"His only consideration is the evidence, not political color. He is a model for other prosecutors," Lin added.
In July 2000, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration set up the Black Gold Investigation Center under the Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office to serve as a special prosecutorial office.
In Sept. 2001, Chen became a member of the center.
Chen also enjoys respect from most reporters covering the justice beat in Taipei.
In February last year, three opposition lawmakers under investigation by the center for alleged bribery threatened to cut the center's proposed NT$7 million (US$212,765) budget in retaliation. The tactic failed, however, after Chen and other prosecutors told the press and the story made headlines.
Soon after, other lawmakers and two non-governmental organizations threw their support behind the center, and the legislature swiftly approved the center's budget for this year.
In September 2004, when Prosecutor Wu Ying-chao (吳英昭) was nominated to State Public Prosecutor-General, Chen said his association opposed Wu's appointment because of his past involvement in scandals such as the illegal trading of Taiwan Pineapple Corp shares.
The association questioned Wu's ability to lead prosecutors in a probe of corruption among high-level officials.
"It would be a step backward for the system if we were to have a prosecutor-general like Wu," Chen said in voicing his opposition to the nomination.
After Wu took office and paid a visit to the Black Gold Investigation Center, Chen declined to meet with Wu.
While other Taipei District prosecutors had come under fire for their performance in their investigation of the Sogo voucher scandal involving the first lady, an insider trading case involving the president's son-in-law Chao Chien-ming (
True to form, Chen has passed his latest test with flying colors.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as