Angered by the Democratic Progressive Party's (DPP) support for a rally on Saturday designed to counter his own anti-President-Chen-Shui-bian (
"People power, which follows no tactics, is strongest. The DPP's tactics, which are intended to counter people power, are doomed to failure," Shih said during a press conference on Ketagalan Boulevard.
DPP Secretary-General Lin Chia-lung (
PHOTO: SUNG CHIH-HSIUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
As organizers hoped that some 100,000 people would participate in the event, Lin said that the DPP aimed to contribute between 20,000 and 30,000 people.
Shih, however, dismissed the mobilization as nothing but a bunch of "soulless stage props" manipulated by political parties, adding that they bore no comparison with the anti-Chen protesters, who attended the sit-in of their own free will.
"Let the DPP do it! When it mobilizes thousands of buses filled with soulless puppets, it is doing nothing but helping people see the truth more clearly," he said.
Pledging that his movement would continue to be a peaceful one, Shih once again denied that protest organizers were planning a nationwide strike. He also urged people to participate in the symbolic "siege" of the Presidential Office and the president's official Yushan Residence tomorrow night.
"The horn of history has sounded. We are all warriors. We will continue the battle until A-bian steps down," he said.
A-bian is the president's nickname.
Dismissing comments attributed to Wei Chien-fung (魏千鋒), a lawyer aligned with the anti-Chen movement, that DPP heavyweights had advised campaign organizers, Shih said that only God had guided him.
Chien Hsi-chie, deputy head of Shih's campaign, said that if Chen remained unmoved after tomorrow's "siege," 5,000 protesters would be sent to peacefully lay siege to the Presidential Office.
Meanwhile, as the sit-in campaign entered its fifth day, Jerry Fan (
The idea, which was inspired by the song Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree, is the latest gimmick suggested by Fan, who previously suggested that protesters draw inspiration from Peru's famous Nazca Lines and dress in red.
"We want to see all the trees around the country tied with red ribbons," Fan said.
Although the majority of anti-Chen protesters will move to the Taipei Railway Station on Saturday, Fan called on the Taiwan Society to cancel its rally so that about 200,000 or 300,000 anti-Chen protesters could remain in the area of Ketagalan Boulevard during the weekend.
Earlier yesterday morning, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (
Wearing a red shirt, Ma led the crowd in shouting "A-bian Step Down!" in Mandarin, Taiwanese and Hakka. Ma said he had taken the opportunity to express the KMT's support for the protesters.
In response to the "siege" plan, Ma called on protesters to show self-restraint, adding that the KMT would allow its members to take part in the event as individuals.
Asked where the money for the bread and soy milk had come from, Ma, who also serves as Taipei mayor, said the KMT had paid for it.
"I went [to Ketagalan Boulevard] in my capacity as KMT chairman, to cheer protesters on behalf of the party. Of course the money [for the bread and soy milk] came from the KMT," Ma said.
However, Premier Su Tseng-chang (
Also yesterday, the Taiwan Society said it had invited Chen to take part in its rally on Saturday.
It did not invite Vice President Annette Lu (
"[Lu] has revealed her ambition to seize power [through legal maneuvering and in a manner that is full of paradoxes]and so we won't invite her," said Chet Yang (
In a statement issued last night by the Presidential Office, Lu said she would reserve her right to institute legal action against Yang whose comments Lu said "did no justice to the truth."
"I have tried my best to assist the president for the past six years. [This fact] is unquestionable," Lu's statement said.
Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as