Members of a Chinese team participating in the International Children's Games in Thailand, yesterday snatched Taiwan's national flag from Taiwanese medalists as they accepted their awards.
The Taiwanese team was led by Deputy Taipei Mayor King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) and officials from the city government's Department of Education.
Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
"It's the sixth time Taipei City has joined the event, and the first time for Beijing. Its attitude is surprisingly rude. This issue could have been solved through negotiation," Ma said last night as he watched the Taipei Firework Festival in Dadaocheng (
The first incident occurred before the Taiwanese athletes went on to the podium to receive their awards.
The flags which the athletes were planning to use had gone missing. It emerged that the flags had been stolen by members of the Chinese team, Angel Chen (
The second incident occurred when the athletes were on stage and ready to receive their awards, when individuals later identified as members of the Chinese team approached them and ripped off the flag that the athletes had worn.
The third incident occurred after the ceremony was over. Taiwanese athletes were sitting among the audience when members of the Chinese team approached and again ripped away the flag, Chen said.
Taiwanese officials immediately filed a complaint with the organizer.
They demanded an apology from China and the return of the flag, according to a statement released by city government officials last night.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated