The Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) has settled its lawsuit with Assuranceforeningen Gard, the Norwegian insurer of the cargo ship Amorgos, which was accused of causing an oil spill off the coast of Kenting National Park in 2001, according to an administration official.
According to the EPA, the ship's owner agreed to pay a total of NT$34 million (US$1.05 million) in compensation as part of the settlement reached in March this year.
The settlement only came to light recently because of a confidentiality clause in which both parties agreed to reveal the details at an appropriate time.
Hsu Jen-tse (
The compensation that the company offered this time was for the government only, he said.
The figure was, however, lower than the NT$350 million demanded by former EPA minister Hau Lung-bin (
The payment had already been wired to the EPA's account, Hsu said, and administration and the Kenting National Park's management are now discussing how the money would be utilized.
According to Hsu, the administration decided to accept the settlement after carefully considering the potential consequences of taking further legal action.
He said it would take at least another five years if both sides proceeded with the lawsuit in both Taiwan and Norway. The overall charges could climb to NT$100 million, he said.
Charging that the administration failed to provide substantial evidence to show that the oil spill had damaged coral reefs and the fishing industry as well as led to losses in tourism and tax revenues, the Norwegian court ruled in January last year that GARD should pay the EPA NT$93.5 million to cover fees accrued from hiring consultants and monitoring changes in the environment.
In return, however, the administration has to compensate the company NT$167 million for all charges stemming from the lawsuit.
After calculating the chances of success, the EPA decided to drop the lawsuit and seek a settlement instead.
Meanwhile, environmental advocates yesterday said that the incident exposed the problems that the government faces in dealing with lawsuits overseas.
Lim Hak-yam (
Should a similar lawsuit occur in the future, it can help the government present its case more convincingly, he said.
He noted that the EPA is hampered by its limited staff and expertise.
The Cabinet, he said, should integrate the efforts of different departments to assist the EPA in handling overseas lawsuits.
Lim also said that Taiwan has very few lawyers who are concerned with environmental issues, and even fewer have extensive experience in handling overseas cases.
He added that instead of relying solely on presenting substantial evidence to build up its case in overseas lawsuits, the government should work more closely with environmental groups around the world and seek their support.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as