A Presidential Office spokesman yesterday denied allegations by an opposition legislator that President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) had a secret bank account, saying that the account in question was used for political contributions ahead of the 2004 presidential election.
Presidential Office Spokesman David Lee (
The account was opened in 2002 and had NT$169 million (US$5.15 million) in it shortly after the presidential election in March 2004, he said.
Chiu also said that in May 2004 the president ordered a close aide to transfer the money abroad and that he had never declared the account to the Control Yuan.
According to Chiu, the president feared he might lose the election in 2004 and ordered that the money be transferred into his personal account to prepare for its transfer abroad.
But Lee said that the account had been opened to receive donations from Chen's supporters for the 2004 presidential election and was closed soon after the election was over.
Lee said Chiu had only listed the deposits into the account and ignored the withdrawals.
The Presidential Office closed the account shortly after the 2004 presidential election and the money in the account was not transferred abroad, Lee said.
As the account was not part of the president's personal assets, it was not necessary for Chen to declare it to the Control Yuan, Lee said.
Premier Su Tseng-chang (
"Those who run in elections may know that it is totally normal to have a bank account for donations to help cover the costs of a campaign," Su said when asked to comment on the allegations made by Chiu.
"I think it is quite unfair to criticize the president and call it corruption with an excuse like this," he said.
Su urged the public to figure out the truth and said that he believed in the president's integrity.
The president did not deserve to be humiliated when he had done nothing wrong, Su said.
"Usually, we would close an account like this after the election is over," Su said.
"This type of account should not be called a secret account because it is not secret at all," Su said.
Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated