The Presidential Office yesterday dismissed accusations by fugitive tycoon Chen Yu-hao (陳由豪) that the president and first lady had lied about political donations he made in the 1990s, stating that the president had already clarified the issue in his national address last Tuesday.
"We do not want to see any person distribute any politically motivated information before the legislature votes on the recall motion," said Presidential Office Spokesman David Lee (李南陽).
Chen Yu-hao, formerly head of the defunct Tuntex group, said that President Chen Shui-bian's (
PHOTO: CHU YI-CHEN, TAIPEI TIMES
"Now how can they say Wu has never met me before?" Chen Yu-hao, now listed as one of Taiwan's 10 most wanted fugitives, said during a press conference televised live from Los Angeles.
"This is a problem of integrity ... showing A-bian has lied on the matter and may do so on other things," Chen Yu-hao said calling the president by his nickname.
"Mr Chen Shui-bian, you have lied and therefore should honor your previous pledge" of stepping down, he said.
In last Tuesday's public address, the president said he has never denied accepting political donations from Chen Yu-hao but the donations were legal. He also denied Wu had met with Chen Yu-hao before.
As prosecutors have completed the probe into the case last year, Lee called on Chen Yu-hao, now residing in the US, to return home and offer a better account of the matter as well as other judicial cases he is involved in instead of making groundless accusations overseas.
Chen Yu-hao fled Taiwan in 2002 after his Tuntex Group began having financial troubles. He was accused of embezzling funds from the group and left behind unsettled bank debts totaling more than NT$60 billion (US$1.8 billion).
Pan-green lawmakers yesterday said that Chen Yu-hao's accusation was entirely political and motivated by a desire to take revenge on the president.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) said Chen Yu-hao had enjoyed considerable privileges in running his business empire when the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) was in power. However, the DPP government refused to play ball with Chen Yu-hao and he was subsequently charged with fraud and other corporate crimes.
"Chen [Yu-hao] has harbored a grudge against the president and the DPP government for not allowing the continuation of his special privileges and for listing him as an economic criminal," Gao said, adding that he suspected the KMT was behind the attacks on the government from entrepreneurs who did not pay taxes or owed huge amounts of debt.
"I doubt, however, that the KMT promises that [these people] will be exempted from their liabilities or criminal punishment if the party wins the 2008 presidential election," Gao said.
DPP Legislator William Lai (
At that time, Chen Yu-hao faxed three open letters to the president and the offices of opposition lawmakers from abroad.
Wu dismissed the allegation and the pan-green camp defended Wu and the president, saying that Chen Yu-hao was just "a tool" being used by the pan-blue camp to assist former KMT chairman Lien Chan's (
Taiwan Solidarity Union caucus whip David Huang (
Pan-blue legislators, on the other hand, yesterday expressed their belief in the fugitive's claim.
"The president lied about the matter because four people -- Chen Yu-hao, former Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Shen Fu-hsiung (沈富雄) and both of their drivers -- corroborate that Chen You-hao did meet with Wu," said KMT Legislator Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱).
She said Chen Yu-hao's press conference justified the campaign to recall the president as a dishonest president should step down.
People First Party Legislator Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) urged Chen Yu-hao to return to Taiwan and help clarify the whole matter.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as