The Chiang Wei-shui Freeway continued to experience heavy traffic yesterday following the official opening of the Hsuehshan Tunnel on Thursday which has encouraged more motorists to use the road.
The Pinglin Traffic Control Center reported that after 7am the number of cars driving through the tunnel each hour exceeded 1,000.
By noon, over 10,000 cars, both northbound and southbound, had passed through the tunnel.
In addition, the Taiwan Area National Expressway Bureau continued to control the traffic flow on the Chiang Wei-shui Freeway by regulating the number of cars coming from the Formosa Freeway interchange at Nangang, causing the traffic on the latter to back up for 2km.
The National Highway Police Bureau also reported that a total of 66 tickets were issued on Friday for violations of driving safety regulations in the tunnel, 43 of which were for speeding offenses.
Meanwhile, Minister of Transportation and Communications Kuo Yao-chi (
"There is no change in anyone's position as of now," Kuo said.
Media reports suggested that Chiou would be forced to step down after failing to locate an appropriate jeep for Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) and three other former premiers to use to drive through the tunnel during its opening ceremony.
Reports said it was the Directorate General of Highways (DGH) that managed to find a suitable jeep.
It took Su almost 15 minutes to start the stick-shift jeep, however, which turned into a gaffe broadcast nationwide. This angered Kuo, leading to her decision to replace Chiou, the reports added.
Chiou denied the reports yesterday, saying he has not handed in his resignation and does not have any plans for early retirement.
Kuo said yesterday she would not punish her staff for minor mistakes, but said she did ask Chiou to seek assistance from the DGH in finding an appropriate jeep earlier this week. Kuo later discovered that Chiou had not contacted the DGH for help.
While denying the reports, Kuo gave indications of dissatisfaction with Chiou's performance when she talked with the Taipei Times yesterday.
She said that Chiou did not appear to have a full grasp of the work on the tunnel whenever he was consulted.
"The credit for completing the Hsuehshan Tunnel should be given to people who have been working at the construction site all these years, not the expressway engineering bureau," she said, adding that the tunnel construction was nearly halted when she became minister in February.
Kuo added that the tunnel's construction workers had been under considerable pressure. Occupational hazards, questioning of the project, derision from legislators and the announcement of the delayed opening of the tunnel were all demoralizing, she said.
"[To them] it was like the construction of the tunnel would never end," she said.
Kuo noted that the Ministry will announce new management for some of the bureaus next month or in August.
Sources within the ministry have indicated that Chiou, along with the chief of the Bureau of High Speed Rail, Wu Fu-hsiang (吳福祥), and the chief of the Taiwan Area National Expressway Bureau, Chen Chien-yu (陳建宇), will be asked to leave their positions.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated