The education ministry yesterday said 20,260 foreign spouses nationwide have enrolled in adult education classes to learn Mandarin since September last year, an improvement from 16,000 the year before.
Hsieh Ming-chao (謝明昭), a Department of Social Education official, said the classes were initially designed for illiterate Taiwanese, but since 1999, the number of foreign spouses in the country has been rising and the classes have become an important means of language education for them.
Listening, reading and writing in Mandarin are taught in the classes which take place two to three times a week, Hsieh said. The classes are divided into beginners, intermediate and advanced levels, she added.
The results have been positive and more foreign spouses are learning Mandarin, Hsieh said.
There are currently 1,013 adult education language classes held across the country.
Evening classes, which differ from the adult education classes, are offered at local elementary and junior high schools and teach not only Mandarin, but also math, science and social studies, she said.
Hsieh said that this provided an opportunity for foreign spouses to learn other subjects. The evening classes were designed for the elderly or drop-outs in the past, but most students in the classes are now foreign spouses, she said.
Foreign spouses are officially enrolled in school if they take these evening classes and may receive degrees at the end of their studies, Hsieh said.
Since September last year, 9,446 foreign spouses have enrolled in elementary school evening classes and 804 in junior high ones.
Roughly 23 percent of non-Chinese spouses are enrolled in either language classes or evening school classes.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as