The Ministry of National Defense announced that the computer simulations that form part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises began yesterday.
The purpose of the simulations is mainly to test the military's ground combat abilities.
"This year's Han Kuang computer exercise will simulate a cross-strait war breaking out in 2008, with the Chinese military successfully landing [troops] in Taiwan after launching full-scale missile and air attacks on the country, and an intense ground battle breaking out," ministry spokesman Rear Admiral Wu Chi-fang (
The simulation envisions the military mobilizing more than 3 million active and reserve service members to confront Chinese ground troops, a ministry press statement said, adding that a simulated battle for Taipei City would be fought.
Till the bitter end
This year's computer exercise would continue until the Taiwanese military had lost all of its fighting capabilities, the statement added.
The ministry said that through the exercise it would learn how long the military would be able to resist a Chinese assault, and how many military personnel, including reserves, the country required.
The Chinese-language United Daily News yesterday quoted an unnamed official as saying that the ministry estimated that the military would be able to hold out against a Chinese invasion force for more than two weeks, or even a whole month, provided the military and the public maintained the will to fight.
But if Taiwanese lack that determination, the country could be in China's hands in three days, the paper quoted the official as saying.
The ministry said the computer simulation would run through Saturday, while members of the legislature's National Defense Committee were scheduled to observe the computer war gamestomorrow.
The former commander-in-chief of the US Pacific Command, Admiral Dennis Blair, has arrived in Taipei to watch the Han Kuang war games, according to recent reports in the Liberty Times, the Taipei Times sister newspaper.
Blair, who is also reported to have led US delegations to watch ministry computer exercises over the past two years, would enter the Hengshan Command Compound in Taipei's Dazhi District with the US delegation to observe the exercises.
Last year's computer exercises focused on simulating a Chinese missile and air attack on Taiwan, as well as a naval invasion and air campaign in the Taiwan Strait. The ministry said that the result of the simulation indicated that the Chinese invasion force would need more than two weeks to reach Taiwan's shores.
Meanwhile, the Liberty Times reported in yesterday's edition that the military had begun to station mechanized infantry units at major air force facilities.
Strengthened
The ministry said that the results of last year's computer simulations indicated that the security forces at those bases would be too weak to successfully fend off an assault by Chinese airborne troops. Therefore, the ministry decided to boost the defenses of these important facilities. Around 700 mechanized infantry soldiers would be deployed at different airfields and other locations across the nation by the end of next month, the report said.
Stationing mechanized infantry soldiers at these important locations would also prevent the enemy from infiltrating the bases before an attack began, the ministry added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as