Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said the meeting between President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on Monday could provide `the spark' for future cooperation.
"Their conversation `sparked,' although they did not find any common ground during the meeting," Su told reporters yesterday.
"We want to affirm it, encourage and welcome more talks or conversations like this in the near future," he said on the legislative floor in response to a question from People First Party (PFP) caucus whip Lu Hsueh-chang (呂學樟).
Ma, however, said yesterday that the meeting was counterproductive and the possibility of a second meeting was slim.
Su said Chen had invited Ma to discuss more issues of concern to the economy and people's daily life in the future instead of just political issues.
"I think Chairman Ma has received the message," he said.
He said Monday's session had established a good model for meetings between political parties, adding: "It was an ignition. A very powerful ignition."
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) caucus yesterday backed the idea of a second meeting on economic issues.
DPP caucus whip Chen Chin-jun (陳景峻) said it was a pity that the two leaders did not reach consensus, but only elaborated their own positions.
If the pair could meet again and concentrate on economic policies, it would be a more effective and meaningful meeting and one that could meet the public's expectations, he said.
"The legislators could make laws in terms of the economic issues that [President] Chen and Ma reach a consensus on. We also urge the KMT to attend the conference on sustainable economic development to be held by the government in May or in June," Chen Chin-jun said.
Ma told reporters yesterday that he was disappointed with Monday's outcome.
"If President Chen had shifted his focus to livelihood and economic issues, then it would have been worthwhile. But I guess the result was the opposite of what we wanted," he said.
He also denied that he had acted as a messenger for the US, and said his suggestion of a meeting had been the "last effort to persuade him [Chen] that there is room for cross-strait relations to develop."
"I hope that he can go ahead and do things the KMT is not entitled to do. We do not mind letting him have all the credit. We just want to save the economy," Ma said.
Pan-green camp leaders, including Su and DPP Chairman Yu Shyi-kun, expressed a willingness to meet with Ma. The KMT boss, however, showed no interest in meeting with any DPP leaders in the near future.
"If Premier Su has ideas, he can just put them into practice ? Any further meetings would depend on timing and the issues. Some meetings are helpful, but others aren't," he said.
Additional reporting by Jewel Huang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and