The US plans a sharp cutback in funding for the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) next year, reversing what have been steady annual increases in funding for the organization's work in Taipei and Washington in recent years.
The US government's budget for fiscal year 2007, which begins Oct. 1, slashes AIT funding by 19 percent, or US$3.7 million.
The budget, released in Washington on Monday, calls for AIT funding of US$15.8 million for next year, compared with more than US$19.4 million this year.
The figures exclude the amount that the US plans to spend on work toward the planning and construction of the new AIT headquarters, which is to be built on 2.6 hectares of land off Jinhu Road in Neihu. That building is expected to cost US$160 million.
There was no reason given in the budget documents for the drop in spending.
However, one government source contended that the budget envisions that AIT will be able to provide "basically the same level of service" as this year with the new budget.
He said the budget reflects the fact that the AIT receives a large amount of income from visa and other services. The budget calculation reflects the money expected to be generated next year.
In the current year, the AIT was expected to generate US$30 million from services it performs, including the US$18 visa processing fee. The estimates of those figures for next year were not immediately available.
It was not clear how much of the drop is related to reported plans by the administration of US President George W. Bush to downgrade the job of AIT chairman from full-time to part-time, although one government official said it "did not have anything to do with that."
Raymond Burghardt, the man tipped to be the next chairman, told the Taipei Times last month that he understands the job will become part-time.
He expects to continue to be based in Honolulu, where he is director of East-West Seminars at the East-West Center, and travel to Washington and Taiwan for special occasions, if selected for the post.
He said the decision to downgrade the position was the idea of the State Department, and reflected the greater contacts in recent years between the US government and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in Washington.
For this year, the administration had originally requested a budget of US$19.8 million for the AIT, up from the US$19.2 million spent last year. Most of that increase was related to spending on anti-terrorist activity, and went toward boosting container security in Kaohsiung. As part of that effort, the US Customs and Border Protection office was to have hired 15 container security inspectors at the port to keep an eye on containers heading toward the US.
In related news, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday confirmed Washington has informed Taipei about the appointment for the new director of the AIT, Stephen Young, who is currently awaiting the official announcement from the State Department.
Ministry Spokesman Michel Lu (呂慶龍) said yesterday that the notification is part of the administrative procedure. The US first consults Taipei for approval of the candidate before making the official announcement.
AIT officials had recently confirmed that Young had been selected to be the new AIT director, but declined to comment on the exact timing of Young's arrival.
"Before the official announcement, Congress needs to be consulted. We are working on that right now," an AIT official told the Taipei Times in a recent telephone interview.
Additional reporting by Chang Yun-ping
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated