The People First Party (PFP) caucus yesterday proposed amending the law to empower lawmakers to exercise the right of investigation, including summoning the president, in order to probe the Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corp (KRTC) scandal.
PFP caucus whip Hwang Yih-jiau (黃義交) said the caucus plans to file a motion during the Nov. 8 session to amend the Law Governing Legislators' Exercise of Power (立法院職權行使法) and push the amendment through to a second reading.
Hwang said the caucus has obtained the consent of Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) and endorsement of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus to forge ahead with the proposal.
PHOTO: CNA
The recent wave of scandals surrounding President Chen Shui-bian's (
Both the president and former Presidential Office deputy secretary-general Chen Che-nan (陳哲男) could be called to the legislature for questioning about their roles in the KRTC scandal after the amendment passes, Hwang said.
In response, the pan-green caucuses called on the PFP to support the confirmation of the president's Control Yuan nominees.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) caucus whip Jao Yung-ching (
Although lawmakers have the power to summon civil servants and question them during the process of legislation or budget review, Jao said they must not abuse the right by trying to usurp the role of prosecutors.
DPP Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (
Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) caucus whip David Huang (
Another TSU caucus whip, Legislator Kuo Lin-yung (郭林勇), said that although the Council of Grand Justices has ruled that lawmakers are entitled to exercise the right of investigation, it also ruled that such a practice must not violate the principle of separation of powers among branches of government.
Meanwhile, in response to media reports that Chen Che-nan and Chen Min-hsien (陳敏賢), former KRTC vice chairman were spotted sitting together at a casino table in a Seoul hotel on Nov. 2, 2002, the Presidential Office said it had no record of Chen Che-nan having asked for leave or traveling overseas in November 2002.
There had also never been any "inspection report on the foreign labor situation" allegedly presented to the president by Chen Che-nan, said Chen Wen-tsung (
Chen Min-hsien said yesterday that he and Chen Che-nan did tour South Korea's Cheju Island in November 2002. He said the recent media reports only prove that the two men were "enjoying a legal recreational activity."
"Chen Che-nan and I are good friends. We went to a recreational area, purely for tourism. It's nothing. It has nothing to do with the KRTC scandal," he said.
Chen Che-nan issued a statement to the press last night admitting that he had made a trip to South Korea at the time in question. He apologized for visiting Cheju on a working day without notifying his superiors, but he reiterated that he was not involved in the KRTC scandal.
KMT Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said yesterday that he "was not surprised at all" by the new evidence that has come out after the Kaohsiung City Government released its investigation report on the scandal.
He said the opposition parties hope there won't be any obstacles to future's investigations by prosecutors and courts.
In a related development, Chao Yu-chu (
Chiu has claimed that Chen Che-nan went to Thailand in November last year with a "retired school principal who is closely related to the Presidential Office" and that the principal is an "influential figure" in the KRTC scandal.
Chao Yu-chu is a retired principal.
Additional reporting by Mo Yan-chih
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated