Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers continued to give Premier Frank Hsieh (
Hsieh arrived at the Legislative Yuan around 9am yesterday, and went to the podium to carry out his briefing. However, before he could, KMT lawmakers started vociferously complaining about his policies regarding the Kaohsiung MRT project, saying that the government's decision to import and hire Thai laborers took away job opportunities for local laborers.
"It was you who decided to hire foreign laborers since you were the Kaohsiung City mayor back then," said Huang Chao-shun (黃昭順), the KMT's Kaohsiung legislator. "Don't you think that by making that decision, you also took away job opportunities for our own people?"
PHOTO: LIU HSIN-DE, TAIPEI TIMES
In response, Hsieh said working on the Kaohsiung MRT was a dangerous job with small paychecks -- less than NT$30,000 per month. The Kaohsiung City Government decided to hire foreign laborers, because not enough local workers would accept job offers to work on the project.
"We cannot abandon the project just because we do not have enough manpower, can we? Hiring foreign workers was the only suitable way to solve that problem back then," Hsieh answered.
KMT lawmakers have been taking advantage of the Kaohsiung MRT workers riot to question and attack Hsieh ever since the new legislative session began last week. They asked their Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) colleagues to endorse a proposal to organize a special task force to investigate such scandals and asked the premier to apologize over the issue.
The premier said he was sorry about the riot, because it was the government's responsibility to take care of problems related to foreign workers. But he showed his support for the decision to hire Thai workers.
"I have no regrets and no apology for this because my fellow colleagues in the Kaohsiung City Government and I did not do anything wrong," he said.
In addition to the MRT issue, KMT Taoyuan Legislator Lin Cheng-feng (
"Some political enemies have taken advantage of this proposal and said that we are using it as a tool for the year-end elections. We need to do something to clarify the issue and let our people know that the proposal has nothing to do with politics. It is made for securing our homes," Hsieh said.
"According to the proposal that you submitted, a lot of counties, especially those ruled by the pan-blue, do not share any part of the proposal. That means there will not be any flood prevention construction for these counties. Is that fair?" Lin said.
"It is hard for me to believe it has nothing to do with politics if that is the case," Lin said.
Hsieh told Lin that the proposal is merely a rough plan.
"We will distribute this money to every county fairly after we evaluate each county's needs," he explained.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and