In an era of democratization, the Taiwanese people have successfully redefined the term Taike (台客), which was regarded as a derogatory term decades ago, but now is seen as an expression of strong national consciousness, pride and self-confidence, President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) said.
Chen made the remarks in the latest issue of his online weekly newsletter, A-bian's Electronic Newspaper, published yesterday.
In response to the recent debate about the term Taike, Chen had said on Aug. 25 that the Taiwanese people are the real masters of Taiwan rather than its guests, and called on the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and its chairman, Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), to abandon the "myth of one China."
Yesterday, Chen repeated his ideas about Taike, saying that the 23 million Taiwanese people are the real masters of their country.
"We have to abandon the old definition of the term Taike, which scorns Taiwanese people. The new definition stands for an energetic Taiwanese people who have a strong consciousness of their country, self-identity, pride and self-confidence," Chen said.
Chen said the values of Han culture have been the "mainstream" in Taiwan for centuries. Since 1949, other cultures had been denigrated by the KMT, who fled to Taiwan from China, Chen said.
"Under these circumstances, the Taiwanese people, the real masters of this land, were deprived of their right to speak for themselves because they were treated by the KMT government as Taiwanese guests, or Taike. The term Taike actually reflected the oppression of a foreign autocratic regime that was imposed on the Taiwanese people," he said.
Chen said Taiwanese society was formed by immigrants over four centuries, but the recent process of democratization had offered Taiwanese an opportunity to redefine the term Taike.
He said that in a democratic environment, the value of diverse Aboriginal cultures had been recognized, and that this recognition had led to a rediscovery of Taiwanese identity.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as