■ Civil service
English incentives revamped
The government has decided to amend a controversial plan to enhance the English levels of civil servants after the incentives offered sparked complaints, officials said yesterday. The Central Personnel Administration (CPA) was drafting a new version of the plan that alters awards for advanced English speakers. "Government agencies will be authorized to work out their own rules regarding those who pass advanced-level English tests in accordance with their needs," a CPA official said. The new standards for advanced English proficiency were set to take effect today. Under the plan announced on Saturday, civil servants would get extra performance credits if they pass certain English exam levels, and civil servants who pass certain tests would be awarded performance credits and promotion prospects. But the proposed incentives sparked strong criticism, with opponents saying civil servants may be prompted to devote more time to improving their language skills rather than to their jobs. The CPA hopes at least 30 percent of civil servants will pass the basic tests by the end of next year and another 50 reach the level 12 months later.
■ Transportation
Train users can get refunds
Passengers will be entitled to a full refund for train tickets in the event of delays lasting more than 80 minutes from the middle of this month, Taiwan Railway Administration Deputy Director-General Chen Feng-nan (陳峰男) said. Chen made the promise at a news conference held by People First Party Legislator George Hsieh (謝國樑) after trains plying the Western Railway were hit with serious delays during the rush hour on Tuesday morning, generating a chorus of complaints. The delays were caused by a construction problem on the railway between Hsichih (汐止) in Taipei County and Chitu (七堵) in Keelung City, northern Taiwan, where the Reconstruction Bureau of the Taiwan Railway was working on an elevated rail project. The incident led to the Hsichih-Chitu line being cut for nearly three hours, affecting 56 commuter trains.
■ Politics
Control Yuan budget planned
The Control Yuan, the nation's highest watchdog body, has been without members since Feb. 1 because the legislature has refused to approve the nominations submitted by President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), but this has not stopped the Executive Yuan from proposing a massive NT$240 million increase for the Control Yuan's fiscal 2006 budget. According to the central government's overall budget submitted to the Legislative Yuan for approval, the Control Yuan's share amounted to NT$2.26 billion, an increase of NT$240 million over fiscal 2005. The proposed budget covers all normal expenditures of the Control Yuan, including salaries for 24 members and staff, administrative expenses and allowances for members to make inspection tours abroad. However, the prospects appear dim for the Democratic Progressive Party government to break the deadlock, unless the president agrees to submit a new list of nominees matching the expectations of the legislature. Chen first submitted the names of his nominees in January for the previous legislature's approval, but opposition legislators refused to approve them. Chen indicated earlier this week that if it is necessary for him to submit the names of the nominees again, he will send exactly the same list as he submitted early this year.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as