Two La New Bears baseball players, starter Tai Long-Shui (
The two men were still being questioned as of press time.
"There are a number of Chinese Professional Baseball League [CPBL] players who appear to be involved in the game-fixing scam, including some foreign players," Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) Commissioner Hou You-yi (
PHOTO: AFP
"In order to reduce the impact on professional baseball's ticket sales, investigators will speed up their investigation," Hou said.
Prosecutors said yesterday that they would question 10 more players about alleged involvement in the scandal, which has already led to the arrest of 10 people.
Yunlin prosecutors said they had issued 10 subpoenas yesterday for players allegedly implicated in the scandal in which games were rigged through bribes, providing sex services or threatening players.
Prosecutors have questioned La New Bears catcher Chen Chao-ying (
The two men were summoned for questioning as their team prepared to take to the field against the Macoto Cobras at Kaohsiung County's Chengching Lake Stadium.
On Wednesday evening, Chinatrust Whales starter Emiliano Girona, a 23-year-old right-handed pitcher from the Dominican Republic, and Jeffrey Andra, 30, a US pitching coach with the Sinon Bulls, were questioned by Yunlin prosecutors about possible connections with bookies.
Giron has been released on NT$100,000 bail, while Andra was released without having to post bond, but both men were restricted from leaving the county.
Prosecutors said Giron and Andra admitted they were treated to a visit to a Kaohsiung night club with hostess by persons associated with bookies, but both denied involvement in game-fixing scam.
Giron told prosecutors that he was threatened by gangsters connected to bookies but did not tell team officials about the threats.
The Whales suspended Giron and took him off the payroll. If he is tried and found guilty, the team would cancel his contract, the Broadcasting Corp of China (BCC) reported.
The CPBL has expelled Chen and Tai from the league.
This is the second time a game-fixing scandal has rocked professional baseball since the first league was started in 1989.
After a prolonged investigation, the Taiwan High Court closed the case of the 1997 scandal just last year, sentencing 22 players and rookies to jail terms ranging from seven months to two-and-a-half years.
Meanwhile, a Chinese-language newspaper reported yesterday that baseball teams are planning to halve the number of foreign players.
"At a meeting on Wednesday, the six teams agreed to cut by half the number of foreign players, starting next year," the newspaper reported. "As players from Latin American are more vulnerable to bribery, the teams plan to hire mainly players from Japan and the US."
The CPBL allows each team to hire four foreign players. Most of the foreign players come from Latin America.
Meanwhile, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers who are found to have been involved in the scandal will face the party's harshest punishment, DPP caucus whip Jao Yung-ching (
"I've heard so much about lawmakers' participation in baseball gambling scams," Jao said. "It is not a secret."
He made the remark in response to media reports that lawmakers might enjoy a close relationship with Tsai Wen-pin (蔡文斌), who was suspected of being the kingpin in the gambling fraud.
(Additional reporting by staff reporter Ko Shu-ling)
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty