The Mainland Affairs Council's rejection of an application for Chinese Shaolin monks to teach Shaolin Kung Fu in summer camps has prompted complaints that the government is trying to restrain cross-strait exchange activities.
MAC Vice Chairman Johnnason Liu (
The case is still under negotiation, Liu said.
"We encourage all kinds of cross-strait exchange activities as long as they are held in accordance with regulations," he said.
However, the Chinese Shaolin Association, one of the groups that submitted the application, announced on its Web site yesterday that it had decided to cancel the camps.
The application was submitted by the association and Taiwan SECOM on June 20. According to the application, 45 monks from the Song Shan Shaolin Temple in Henan Province, China would be invited to teach Shaolin Kung Fu at summer camps that would be held at 23 different venues over a 45-day period starting July 25.
The camps would be open to everyone and would be held in public facilities such as school playgrounds and parks, but it would cost NT$1,200 for 10 hours of lessons.
Liu said that current regulations only allow Chinese professionals to come to Taiwan for professional exchanges.
"They [the monks] can give performances in professional locations such as martial arts studios, but not in parks or schools. They can exchange skills with Taiwanese martial arts personnel, but not teach the general public. Charging for lessons would also be illegal," Liu said.
The association and Taiwan Secom started to advertise the camps before they received the government's permission for the monks to come and they also collected fees, which was wrong, he said.
Shiau-shinn Lin (
"We invited some other Chinese Shaolin monks to Taiwan in early June. I don't understand why the government now has a different position on the issue," Lin said.
The association told the newspaper that the application was rejected by the council on the grounds of "national security."
However, Liu said that the Shaolin monks who came last month received permission to visit because they were to perform at the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and they did not give lessons to the public. The two cases were different, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty