The Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) and the Straits Exchange Foundation both "confirmed" yesterday that former lawmaker Ju Gau-jeng (
News reports yesterday claimed that Ju had been attacked and seriously injured by three unidentified people while he was eating at a hot-pot restaurant in Xiamen around 4am on Sunday.
CIB Deputy Commissioner Kao Cheng-sheng (
According to Kao, the police are sure that Ju was the victim of an attack, but that's about all they know.
"We are working with the foundation and trying to figure out the details of this case," Kao said. "In the meantime, it is also my understanding that the Chinese police department has launched an investigation into this case as well."
When approached by reporters, Wu said that Ju had not reported the incident to the police in Xiamen or checked into a local hospital.
"According to the local police department, Ju is still in Xiamen," Wu said. "He is only suffering from minor injuries as far as I know. The news reports in Taiwan are not quite accurate."
Meanwhile, Ju faxed a statement to the media in Taiwan yesterday afternoon, denying any attack and saying that he was fine.
"I do not understand why such a rumor would come out. I was not attacked; the story was inaccurate. I am sorry for this," he said in his statement.
Although he said he was fine, Ju said he had no plans to appear in public. He said that he is currently in a mountainous area in southern Fujian Province, where access to communications is difficult.
He said he was not planning to cut short his trip to return home.
Ju holds a a law degree from National Taiwan University and a doctorate in philosophy from Bonn University. He was a member of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) but began his political career as a Democratic Progressive Party lawmaker in 1987. He became famous for his willingness to physically attack fellow lawmakers with his fists or other handy items. He later became a member of the pro-China Socialist Party and the New Party.
According to Wu, Ju was not doing business in Xiamen and he is not a member of the business association. However, Wu said Ju is something of a celebrity in Xiamen because many people recognize him.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and