The public's attitude toward cross-strait relations has become more vigilant despite the recent visits to China by two opposition leaders that were meant to help thaw the tension across the Taiwan Strait, a spokesman for the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday.
Council Vice Chairman You Ying-lung (游盈隆) said it is "quite interesting" that while the percentage of Taiwanese who consider the Chinese authorities to be "unfriendly" toward Taiwan's leaders has declined by 34 percentage points from last year's 79.4 percent to 45.4 percent, the percentage of people who consider the speed of government opening private cross-strait exchanges as "too slow" has also dropped, to 18.9 percent from last year's 25.2 percent.
Quoting the results of the latest opinion poll by National Chengchi University's Election Research Center on behalf of the council, You said the percentage of people who consider the speed of government opening cross-strait exchanges as "proper" has increased -- up 4.4 percentage points from last year to 42 percent -- while the percentage of those who consider the speed of such opening as "too quick" has also risen -- up 6.6 percentage points from last year to 25.7 percent.
The poll indicates that the people have become "intelligently vigilant" toward the development of cross-strait relations, You said.
The results of the poll are tantamount to asking why the opposition parties are so enthusiastic about engagement with China so soon after Beijing passed its "Anti-Secession" Law authorizing war if Taiwan edges toward formal independence, You said.
The poll also found that the Taiwanese have remained basically unchanged in their stance on the unification-independence issue -- 85.9 percent of the respondents favor the status quo -- about the same as the figure in last year's poll, You said.
The poll also indicates that 84.2 percent of the respondents approve of the government's efforts to push for the establishment of a cross-strait interaction framework for peace and stability, You said..
The poll of adults randomly selected nationwide was conducted by telephone May 4 to May 6. There were 1,084 valid responses, with a margin of error of 3 percent.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of