Movie star Jackie Chan (成龍) says he will stay away from Taiwan for four years to avoid protests over remarks he made calling last year's presidential elections a joke, TVBS reported yesterday.
At a news conference in China last year, the action hero said Taiwan's disputed presidential election was ``the biggest joke in the world,'' provoking calls from politicians in this country to ban his movies.
In an interview in Cannes with TVBS broadcast yesterday, Chan said he wanted to avoid Taiwan for the time being.
"If I come, some people might organize something at the airport," Chan said, alluding to recent political protests at CKS International Airport.
Chan said he was hurt by the reaction to his remarks.
``I love Taiwan so much. I'm a person who likes Taiwan so much. I have done so many things in Taiwan, but then I get this result,'' he said.
The Hong Kong-born entertainer, who is married to a Taiwanese actress, was hugely popular in Taiwan, and has visited frequently. He has appeared in commercials on behalf of the police and an anti-smoking charity.
Meanwhile, Chan will front a controversial series of Chinese national anthem broadcasts aimed at promoting patriotism in Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post reported yesterday.
He is one of a group of celebrities who will appear in one-minute broadcasts to go out on Chinese-language TV channels before news bulletins, starting next Monday.
Chan will speak briefly on the history of the Chinese national anthem before the anthem is broadcast to a flag-waving backdrop, according to the report.
The broadcasts, introduced in the wake of pro-democracy protests in the territory, have been criticized by activists as "brainwashing" by China.
Daniel Heung (香灼璣), chairman of the government's Committee on the Promotion of Civic Education, told the paper the broadcasts would improve the public's knowledge about China.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty