Disillusioned by fruitless negotiations with government agencies, Taiwan's elderly lepers will take their case to the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva tomorrow, adding fresh momentum to their decade-long protest against the government's plan to force over 300 lepers into a high-rise hospital.
Two lepers and several graduate students from a grassroots organization called Taiwan Youth Union for Lepers' Rights yesterday held a placard reading "Rage against Taiwan's leprosy killer policy," and sang a satirical song titled "Taiwanese Miracle" to rail at the government in front of the Department of Health.
"While our government drums up our bid for WHO under the name of human rights in the international community, some officials are actually trampling on the rights of a disadvantaged minority here," said Yang You-ren (楊友仁), a volunteer at Taiwan Youth Union for Lepers' Rights and doctoral candidate at National Taiwan University's Graduate Institute of Building and Planning.
The dispute flared up in 2003, when Taipei County officials began demolishing the 70-year-old Lo Sheng Sanatorium (樂生療養院), built under Japanese colonial rule, to make room for the Taipei mass rapid transit (MRT) system's Sinjhuang line.
To make the traffic infrastructure project possible, the Department of Health planned to remove over 300 lepers, some wheelchair-bound, from the elegant Japanese-style houses surrounded by banyan trees to the newly-built, modern, eight-floor Huilung Hospital (迴龍醫院) nearby.
After the advocate groups negotiated with the health authority last week, the deadline to relocate all lepers still remained set for July 15.
The health officials' indifference further fueled the lepers' anger.
"No one ever asked us whether we wanted to move when the Department of Health ceded the hospital land to Taipei City's rapid transit department ten years ago," said the 69-year-old leper Chen San-lang (陳三郎).
According to the Taiwan Lepers' Self-Help Organization, the government agencies never secured the consent of about 300 leper patients who had been forced into segregation by the Japanese colonial regime since 1930.
"And no official is really paying attention to our wish -- to stay at Happy Life Sanatorium," said the 52-year-old leper Yiu Wen-chi (尤文智).
"It [Living in the new hospital] will be a second imprisonment. I bet that many will die in there," Yiu wailed.
Accompanied by two student volunteers, Chen and Yiu will fly to Switzerland this afternoon and stage a mini-drama outside of the WHO's headquarters on Monday in Geneva. As Taiwanese officials launch their ninth WHO bid, a group of patients and Taiwan Youth Union for Lepers' Rights will also kick off a publicity campaign, including issuing news releases, visiting the Conference of NGOs in consultative relationship with the UN, and bringing their petition to the Minister of the Department of Health, Hou Sheng-mou (侯勝茂) at a dinner ball held by Taiwanese officials on Monday.
"We've also contacted various influential non-governmental groups in Geneva, such as International Service for Human Rights, Equity International, Global Forum for Health Research, Doctors Without Borders, International Labor Office and others," said Tsai Tsung-fung (蔡宗芳), a student from National Yang Ming University who will accompany the two lepers during their Geneva trip.
"We will seek their support and ask them to write to our president," said Tsai.
"When a government forces lepers to be jailed in a hospital while crying for recognition at the WHO, it is nothing more but official hypocrisy," Tsai said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated