In a U-turn from his previous position, Premier Frank Hsieh approved the resignation of Vice Minister of the Interior Lin Yung-chien (林永堅), Cabinet spokesman Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) said yesterday.
Lin resigned to take responsibility for the violent clashes between pan-blue and pan-green camp supporters at CKS International Airport as Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan (
"I hope criticism stops here, as I took the responsibility and resigned," Lin said. "From now on, I hope we will keep encouraging our police officers as they continue to do their jobs. We shall have faith in them."
Lin made his remarks during a press conference at the ministry yesterday morning.
"I called [Hsieh] last night and told him that I would take the responsibility and resign. He understood and said, `thank you for your sacrifice,'" Lin said.
The vice minister said that he is responsible because Interior Minister Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) was in Rome participating in the Pope's coronation on that day.
During the press conference, Lin also responded to criticism regarding the inability of the police to bring the brawl to an end, or to dismiss the crowd at the airport before clashes took place.
"The police's priority in such situations is to talk the person or people down. The police did not do anything wrong," Lin said.
But the former vice minister signaled out airport security officials for failing to prevent the violence.
"I feel regret that the officer in charge at the scene failed to exercise his authority and respond properly when the violence broke out," Lin said, referring to former Aviation Police Bureau Director Chen Juei-tien (陳瑞添).
Chen was moved out of the job and into a research position shortly after the incident.
Lin also said that the ministry's request from the police was clear and well informed. Unfortunately, the Aviation Police Bureau director did not strictly enforce the law so he lost his job, he said.
In addition, National Police Agency Deputy Director-General Liu Shih-lin (劉世林) was also administratively punished for failing to ensure that the bureau had sufficient personnel to maintain security at the airport.
Lin also told reporters that Director-General Hsieh Ing-dan (謝銀黨) said he should also be punished for the incident.
His request has not been confirmed.
"We need Hsieh to stay, at least for this moment, to comfort the police force and encourage fellow officers," Lin said.
Now that Lin is no longer vice interior minister, he said he hopes "probes into police conduct can be stopped at this point," as police still have many tough jobs ahead.
Lin was referring to Lien's return on May 3, and People First Party Chairman James Soong's (宋楚瑜) departure for China May 5.
Lin, a former deputy mayor of Kaohsiung, assumed the second-highest post at the MOI -- which supervises police operations -- in February this year.
Meanwhile, Chen Tzi-chin (
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a