While conducting cross-strait negotiations at this juncture would be difficult, dialogue remains Taiwan's ultimate long-term goal, Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Chairman Joseph Wu (
Wu indicated while delivering a speech at Waseda University yesterday that given the recent passage of Beijing's "Anti-Secession" Law, it would be difficult for negotiations to take place at this point in time, but assured that it would be the goal of the council's efforts in the future.
If both sides actively cooperate, the probability of success in discussing the politics of lasting peace increases, Wu said.
The Central News Agency reported from Tokyo yesterday that a crowd of roughly one hundred students was present at Wu's lecture, titled "Cross-strait relations and Taiwan's China Policy After the Anti-Secession Law."
Wu said that the goal of Taiwan's efforts was to secure goodwill, a peaceful resolution, active cooperation and lasting peace. Wu added, however, that while Beijing's Anti-Secession Law, which authorizes the use of force against Taiwan to check what it determines to be secessionist activity, had already gravely damaged cross-strait ties and Taiwan would continue to closely monitor China's moves. He reiterated that Taiwan would not give up on its goals of peaceful dialogue and peace across the Taiwan Strait.
Wu said that Beijing's military build-up was a threat to not only Taiwan but the entire East Asian region. He also noted that the crux of cross-strait conflict was in the diplomatic arena, with China using various measures to ensure Taiwan's diplomatic isolation.
Wu told his Japanese audience that various issues needed to be negotiated between Taiwan and China, naming cargo flights, monetary exchange, an agreement for the protection of the investment rights of Taiwanese businesspeople in China, financial management agencies, the avoidance of double taxation, cooperation on fighting crime and illegal immigration.
Wu left for Japan on Tuesday and is slated to return on Sunday.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with