In the wake of criticism that the government is violating freedom of press by banning Chinese journalists from Taiwan, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) countered yesterday with an attack on China's tight control over news coming from Taiwan, and requested that it lift bans on the Internet Web sites of two local newspapers.
"China's attitude toward the media is diametrically opposed to the principle of press freedom. This is what actually deserves criticism," MAC Vice Chairman David Huang (黃偉峰) said yesterday during a press conference.
He said that for starters China should "at the very least" lift Internet restrictions placed on the China Times and United Daily News. China blocks virtually all Taiwanese online news sites.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
The council has protested these bans on several occasions, particularly in the wake of the "Anti-Secession" Law that Beijing recently adopted.
Council Chairman Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) had said during an interview with the Taipei Times last month that the removal of internet bans was the first step towards demonstrating a respect for public opinion and repairing the damage rendered by the Anti-Secession Law.
Similarly, Huang also said yesterday that the government's primary motivation in allowing Chinese correspondents to be stationed in Taipei was to promote bilateral ties by way of increasing China's understanding of Taiwan.
Huang's remarks came on the heels of the council's recent decision to suspend permits allowing Chinese state-run Xinhua News Agency and the People's Daily to post correspondents in Taiwan.
Huang noted however that its stated goals had not been achieved and had instead served to further strain relations by bringing about misunderstanding.
The council cited the distortion of information and the negative impact the reports had on cross-strait relations as reasons for the ban.
Xinhua News Agency's Taipei correspondent Zhang Mei (
Zhang said that the decision had come as "a shock" and that the council had not contacted her beforehand.
Despite the council's accusations that Xinhua often distorted the truth, she defended Xinhua's reports as "objective and balanced" and said that they had not deviated from their journalistic professionalism.
Another Chinese correspondent posted in Taipei yesterday said on condition of anonymity that the council's decision had made a "joke" of Taiwan's democracy and was a setback for cross-strait ties.
The reporter said that it was untrue that the Chinese media reported only on the negative aspects of Taiwan.
Huang made clear yesterday however that the council was not in anyway clamping down on negative reporting but rather the distorted and manipulative handling of news reports and the subsequent "negative impact" that such reporting had on ties.
"Clear and accurate information is best for cross-strait relations?as for whether the reports reflect negatively or positively [on Taiwan], I don't care," Huang said yesterday, citing reports that Xinhua had carried saying Taiwan welcomed the Anti-Secession Law despite several public opinion polls to the contrary.
He reiterated that the suspension was temporary and that it was motivated by the council's overall assessment of journalistic interactions across the Taiwan Strait.
He said that he hoped to see some regional Chinese media outlets posted in Taiwan.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as