The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) signed a secret accord before last year's presidential election, paving the way for senior KMT officials to visit China, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislative caucus alleged yesterday.
KMT Vice Chairman Chiang Pin-kun's (
The DPP caucus also called on Chiang, who is due back tomorrow, not to sign any agreement with the Chinese government, saying that he could face life imprisonment were he to do so.
PHOTO: LIAO CHENG-HUI, TAIPEI TIMES
DPP caucus Secretary-General Chen Chin-jun (
The parties agreed to arrange meetings for high-ranking KMT officials, including Lien. They also agreed to form a unification committee, and push for direct links and the signing of a peace accord.
Despite Lien's losing the election, the agreement has gradually materialized as evidenced by three recent incidents, Chen said.
The first was Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou's (
Second, the KMT sent a delegation on Monday led by Chiang to visit China with the hope of pushing for cooperation and reconciliation with the CCP.
Chiang's visit will be followed by Lien's visit to China in June, when he is scheduled to hold a summit with Chinese Communist Party Secretary-General Hu Jintao (
Chen said that the KMT owes the public an explanation as to whether the delegation's purpose in visiting China is to "sell out Taiwan."
"I'd like to know what kind of deal the KMT strikes with the CCP, and what it will trade with China for its own gain," he said.
Hsu Kuo-yung (
Article 113 of the Criminal Code stipulates that persons not authorized by the government who take the liberty of signing a contract or agreement with a foreign government are subject to a minimum sentence of seven years in prison and a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
DPP caucus whip Lai Ching-teh (
"I hope the KMT sees clearly what the Chinese government is up to and refrains from falling into the snare set up by China," Lai said.
While over 90 percent of Taiwanese people say they oppose China's "Anti-Secession" Law, and the legislature has passed a resolution condemning the bill, Lai said that the KMT is sending the wrong message to China by sending a delegation there.
In response, KMT Legislator Kuo Su-chun (
"Such a groundless and audacious charge is defamatory and slanderous," she said.
"Instead of dampening our enthusiasm to do something for the country, I hope the DPP government recognize the effort we put in to better cross-strait relations, since it cannot, refuses to or doesn't have the guts to do anything," she said.
While President Chen Shui-bian (
"What the DPP is good at is nothing but fabricating unwarranted accusations and smearing others' reputations," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and