The Ministry of National Defense (MND) yesterday said that two military officers have been detained by prosecutors for criminal activity, and that a number of senior officers have received administrative punishment due to their failure to supervise the officers.
Army Major Chang Shou-chung (
18 officials
"Minister of National Defense Lee Jye (
"In addition to cooperating with prosecutors, we are also working on a further investigation to determine whether there are more military personnel involved in this," the spokesman said.
According to the list, the highest-ranking officer to receive administrative punishment is Lieutenant General Chao Shih-chang (
Complaints
According to the MND, the investigation began last year, when Tainan Prosecutor Lin Chung-bin (
Lin's investigation directed him to Chang and Lin. He then worked with Kaohsiung Prosecutor Lo Shui-lang (
Prosecutors discovered that in addition to their "business" as loan sharks, Chang and Lee also allegedly stole rifles, pistols and ammunition from the military, and then sold them to unidentified mafia members.
Raids
A team of prosecutors then launched a raid on seven different locations in Tainan and Kaohsiung that Chang and Lee frequented, and summoned four witnesses for interrogation. They discovered 12 rounds of ammunition, empty magazines for M-16 rifles and two homemade pistols at Lee's residence.
Local Chinese-language news media reported that Chang and Lee were also running a prostitution ring and operated a brothel. However, Cheng denied this report.
"According to our understanding, this accusation [that Chang and Lee operated a brothel] remains speculatory, because we do not have sufficient evidence to support the charge," Cheng said.
Chang and Lee came from the same military unit -- the Eighth Division's Communication Corps -- in which Chang had served as the deputy head of the corps.
Retirement
Chang's army career was to have ended in approximately five days, as he was scheduled to retire.
As a result, he had already left his unit and is currently stationed at a base in Tainan County, attending a vocational training center for retiring military personnel.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as