A Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) delegation is slated to depart for China on Monday to pay homage to KMT patriarch Sun Yat-sen (
The KMT confirmed yesterday that former deputy legislative speaker and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) heavyweight Chiang Pin-kun (
KMT Chairman Lien Chan (
It is believed that the delegation might also have plans to visit Beijing, as the trip comes on the heels of Beijing's recent passage of the "Anti-Secession" Law, legislation that China believes authorizes the use of "non-peaceful means" against Taiwan. The delegation's departure will also come just two days after a March 26 rally protesting the Anti-Secession Law.
KMT spokeswoman Cheng Li-wen (
She said that KMT spokesman Chang Jung-kung (
Beijing's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) also said yesterday that it had not been in contact with the KMT regarding the visit, according to a report in Hong Kong's Wen Wei Po.
An unnamed TAO official was quoted in the report as saying that the office had learned of the trip from media reports only.
The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), the government agency responsible for the nation's China policy, has refrained from commenting on the KMT's trip. Following the passage of the Anti-Secession Law, the council has said on several occasions that it would not impose any restrictions on those wishing to travel to China, but added that anyone who visits China does so at their own risk.
While the KMT has made clear that the main purpose of its impending trip is to mark the death of Sun, the party has in the past sent delegations to China to discuss state affairs.
The KMT had sent a delegation to Beijing and met with TAO officials just as cross-strait dialogue on Lunar New Year charter flights got underway.
At the time, while a trip to China by the government-authorized Taipei Airlines Association had been shrouded in secrecy, the KMT delegation was given a high profile welcome.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and