Pro-independence leaders yesterday promised the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) their full support for the massive march the party is planning for March 26 to voice opposition against China's "anti-secession" law, but they don't think it would be a good idea for President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) to join the demonstration.
DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) met with World United Formosans for Independence (WUFI) chairman Ng Chiau-tong (黃昭堂) yesterday afternoon at the WUFI office to seek the support of pro-independence groups for the demonstration. The DPP hopes to mobilize more than 1 million people for the protest.
"Our enemy is already at the gate and people should understand the proverb that `no eggs stay unbroken when a nest is overturned,'" Su said. "People should take to the street on March 26 to vent their disapproval and frustration with China's law -- no matter what party they belong to -- and the DPP welcomes each of them."
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Su said that although Taiwan has been showing goodwill to China and hopes Beijing will not destroy cross-strait peace, China is still trying to deal with Taiwan through "non-peaceful" measures, which repulse the people of Taiwan.
"To oppose one law, there were 500,000 people of Hong Kong on the streets last July. The Taiwanese people should be more united and come out to protest the legislation that includes 11 articles that empower an invasion of Taiwan," Su said.
"It is not just politicians who have to protest China's anti-secession legislation. It's an issue for every person who lives here," he said. "We hope to reproduce the success of last year's 228 Hand-in-Hand rally and that people will demonstrate their love for this land again."
Ng promised Su that all the pro-independence groups, including WUFI and the Taiwan Hand-in-Hand Alliance, will go all-out to back the demonstration.
Ng, however, suggested that Chen to stay in the Presidential Office on March 26, because it might hurt the president's prestige.
"I don't think it is necessary for Chen to take part in the march," Ng said. "I think the power of the people of Taiwan is enough to warn China."
Chet Yang (楊文嘉), secretary-general of the Northern Taiwan Society agreed with Ng, saying that, as president, Chen could do more on the diplomatical level.
Su however, said that Chen will lead the march.
He also said he had invited Taipei City Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan (連戰) and People First Party Chairman James Soong (
Su plans to visit former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) and Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of